MAX12900 highly integrated 4-20mA sensor transmitter provides more than 20% savings in space and up to 50% in powerSAN JOSE, Calif., Feb. 7, 2018 — (PRNewswire) — Create small, low power, and highly accurate designs for industrial automation applications with the MAX12900 ultra-low power, highly integrated 4-20mA sensor transmitter from Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM). Ideal applications include industrial automation and process control, loop-powered 4-20mA current transmitters, remote instrumentation, and smart sensors.
- Details about MAX12900: http://www.maximintegrated.com/MAX12900
- Block diagram: http://bit.ly/MAX12900_Block_Diagram_Maxim
- Details about MAX12900EVKIT# evaluation kit: http://bit.ly/MAX12900EVKIT_Maxim
Nowadays, system designers must develop enhanced 4-20mA sensor transmitters with several considerations in mind. These include improved measurement accuracy over a wide temperature range and reduced size to fit in a small enclosure. In addition, they are required to meet a tight current budget of their overall sensor transmitter system of 4mA maximum.
The MAX12900 increases system accuracy with 10ppm/°C voltage reference for up to 3.5x lower drift compared to traditional solutions. The small footprint (5mm x 5mm package size) of the MAX12900 integrates 10 optimized building blocks that results in significant space savings of 20%-50% vs. traditional 4-20mA sensor transmitter implementations. The addition of an integrated high voltage LDO and power sequencing capability simplifies the power up of the 4-20mA sensor transmitter. Its reduced current consumption for low power requires just 250uA of current maximum, enabling up to 50% power savings compared to traditional solutions. The new MAX12900 solution reduces implementation complexity, generating system cost savings by converting pulse width modulation data from a microcontroller into current over a 4-20mA loop with two, three, or four wire configurations. The MAX12900 is available in a 32-pin TQFN package and operates over a wide industrial temperature range of -40°C to +125°C.
- Small size: 20-50% smaller solution size than traditional solutions; 5mm x 5mm package size
- High accuracy: 10ppm/°C voltage reference for up to 3.5x lower drift compared to traditional solutions; 0.01% maximum linearity
- Low power: Current consumption reduced by up to 50% compared to traditional solutions; 250uA current maximum
- "With Maxim's MAX12900, we now have the flexibility to implement 2- and 3-wire configuration in our solutions," said Juergen Schmollinger, Group Leader, Development Electronics, Pressure Sensors at IFM. "In addition, we can use it with both a mid and high end 4-20mA transmitter due to its high accuracy."
- "The combination of integration and flexibility, coupled with low power and high accuracy, makes the MAX12900 an ideal solution for low power sensor transmitters and industrial safety applications," said Carmelo Morello, Executive Business Manager at Maxim Integrated.
Availability and Pricing
- The MAX12900 is available at Maxim's website and select authorized distributors for $2.89 (1000-up, FOB USA)
- The MAX12900EVKIT# evaluation kit is available for $55
About Maxim Integrated
Maxim Integrated develops innovative analog and mixed-signal products and technologies to make systems smaller and smarter, with enhanced security and increased energy efficiency. We are empowering design innovation for our automotive, industrial, healthcare, mobile consumer, and cloud data center customers to deliver industry-leading solutions that help change the world. Learn more at https://www.maximintegrated.com.
View original content with multimedia: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/improve-system-accuracy-with-maxims-small-low-power-4-20ma-sensor-transmitter-for-industrial-automation-applications-300593762.html
SOURCE Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.
|Company Name: Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.
Financial data for Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.