Highly integrated, HD-compatible chip seamlessly mixes two audio sources for home and pro audio products
DALLAS, April 17, 2013 -- ( PRNewswire) Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced the industry's first 8-channel pulse-width modulator (PWM) audio processor with dual asynchronous sample rate converters (ASRCs) integrated on a single chip. The HD-compatible TAS5548 allows home and pro audio designers to seamlessly mix two audio sources, providing design flexibility and cost savings compared to competitive solutions that require two chips. It accepts sample rates from 8 kHz to 192 kHz and converts them to a fixed rate of 96 kHz or 192 kHz, eliminating the need to create, store and change coefficients. This simplifies the design of digital multi-channel products, such as Blu-ray home-theater-in-a-box (HTiB), A/V receivers, mini/micro combos, and soundbars. For more information and to order samples, visit www.ti.com/tas5548-pr.
The TAS5548's 40-kHz audio bandwidth is compatible with Dolby® True HD and DTS-HD, and delivers unmatched multi-channel performance. Designers can optimize their products with rich audio processing capabilities, such as 7-band parametric equalization (EQ), bass and treble tone control, volume and loudness control, dynamic range compression (DRC), and input and output mixing.
Key features and benefits of the TAS5548
- Simplified multi-channel design: Two integrated 4-channel ASRC cores allow audio system designers to switch sample rates without changing coefficients.
- Excellent noise performance: Native processing at 96 kHz for 8-channel output enables ultra-low out-of-band noise and jitter suppression.
- Design flexibility: Extra microphone and I2S input combines with the ASRC's ability to mix two different sample rate sources. This feature provides the flexibility to mix a microphone with up to eight karaoke tracks.
- Efficient power supply design: Integrated smart energy manager delivers more efficient operation. It can limit the audio system's peak power by interrupting the host processor if the power threshold is reached. For high-end audio systems, a power supply volume control enables energy-efficient high-power performance.
- Complete audio solution: Combines with the ultra-low power MSP430™ Value Line microcontroller, PCM9211 digital audio interface transceiver with stereo analog-to-digital converter (ADC), and the TAS5624A and TAS5614LA 150-W stereo/300-W mono PurePath™ HD digital-input power stage devices. Customers can create their high-performance audio systems faster with this complete audio system solution.
Tools and support
The TAS5548EVM can be purchased today for a suggested retail price of US$99. This evaluation module is provided with the easy-to-use ControlConsole graphical development suite to simplify the evaluation, configuration and debug of audio products. The ControlConsole's graphical user interface (GUI) enables quick evaluation of all TAS5548 functions, including DRC, programmable EQ, energy management, and much more.
Technical support is available on the Audio Forum in the TI E2ETM Community, where engineers can ask questions and get answers from TI experts.
Availability and pricing
The TAS5548 is available today in a 56-pin TSSOP package for a suggested retail price of US$3.68 in 1,000-unit quantities.
TI analog for consumer electronics
TI's broad range of power management and analog signal chain products offers design engineers the high performance, low power and integration they need to create innovative and differentiated consumer electronics. TI is engineering the future with gesture recognition, touch feedback, energy harvesting, wireless power, audio, health technology and more. Learn how TI analog products improve how we live, work and play at www.ti.com/analogconsumer-pr.
Learn more about TI's audio portfolio by visiting the links below:
- Order TAS5548 samples: www.ti.com/tas5548s-pr.
- Buy the TAS5548EVM: www.ti.com/tas5548evmbuy-pr.
- Download the datasheet: www.ti.com/tas5548ds-pr.
- View a Blu-ray HTiB system block diagram: www.ti.com/blurayhtib-pr
- View an AV receiver system block diagram: www.ti.com/avreceiver-pr.
- Download the audio guide: www.ti.com/audioguide-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.