Kaufman Award Nominations Open Through June 30
May 30th, 2012 by David Yeh
The IEEE CEDA would like to remind the EDA community to help recognize outstanding achievements in the field through the Phil Kaufman award. The nomination deadline is coming up: Saturday, June 30, 2012!
The yearly Phil Kaufman Award for Distinguished Contributions EDA is sponsored by the EDA Consortium (EDAC) and the IEEE Council on EDA. The award honors an individual who has had a major impact on the field of EDA in business, industry direction, promotion, technology and engineering or educational or mentoring. Impartiality is provided to all nominees, without regard to race, gender, age or national origin.
Last year’s recipient was Dr. C. L. David Liu, the William Mong honorary chair professor of Computer Science and former president of the National Tsing Hua University in Hsinchu, Taiwan. The yearly award is sponsored by CEDA and the Electronic Design Automation Consortium.
The award was established in 1994 in honor of EDA industry pioneer Phil Kaufman, who turned innovative technologies such as silicon compilation and emulation into businesses that have benefited electronic designers.
The nomination form can be found at:
In addition to Dr. Liu, past award recipients are:
- Pasquale (Pat) O. Pistilli, chairman of MP Associates (2010)
- Dr. Randal E. Bryant, Dean and University Professor of the School of Computer Science at Carnegie Mellon University (2009)
- Dr. Aart de Geus, cofounder, chairman and CEO of Synopsys Inc. (2008)
- Dr. Robert K. Brayton, Cadence Distinguished Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the University of California at Berkeley (2007)
- Dr. Robert Dutton, Robert and Barbara Kleist professor of engineering at Stanford University (2006)
- Phil Moorby, chief technology officer of Sigmatix Inc. (2005)
- Joe Costello, co-founder, chairman and chief executive officer (CEO) of Orb Networks (2004)
- Dr. A. Richard Newton (deceased), dean of engineering at the University of California at Berkeley (2003);
- Dr. Ronald A. Rohrer, corporate vice president at Cadence Design Systems Inc. (2002)
- Dr. Alberto Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, the Edgar L. and Harold H. Buttner chair of electrical engineering at the University of California at Berkeley (2001)
- Dr. Yen-Son (Paul) Huang, CEO of Fortemedia Inc. (2000)
- Dr. Hugo De Man, professor of electrical engineering at the Katholieke Universiteit (1999)
- Dr. Ernest S. Kuh, William S. Floyd, Jr. professor emeritus in engineering at the University of California at Berkeley (1998)
- James E. Solomon, president and CEO of Xulu Entertainment (1997);
- Dr. Carver A. Mead, Gordon and Betty Moore professor of engineering and applied science, emeritus, at California Institute of Technology (1996)
- Dr. Donald O. Pederson (deceased), professor of electrical engineering at the University of California at Berkeley (1995)
- Dr. Hermann K. Gummel, consultant (1994)
While you’re at DAC this year, look around. You’re bound to see a host of qualified men and women. Please consider nominating one of them.
For more information, go to: www.edac.org/events12/kaufman/cfn12.jsp.