EDAToolsCafe
   >> EDA User News and Reviews
Thread views: 25348 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

(Unregistered)
04/08/06 10:29 AM
Legacy Software, the forgotten “asset” new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Legacy Software, the forgotten “asset”

Use this link to read the full article

Robert
(Unregistered)
04/08/06 10:29 AM
Standard format across vendors new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

that is correct, I agree, there should be some kind of standards across different software vendors, I can also say here that the translators to migrate the data is always not very good

Dave Doman
(Unregistered)
04/10/06 07:37 AM
planned (for) obsolecense new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

First, let me say that I heartily sympathize with your horror story. Second, though, I do think that it is an apt illustration of not fully costing the product (and even "internal cad" is a product to the design team customer). When it is hardware, be it brick-and-mortar buildings or be it oscilliscopes and test equipment, we have no problem with the comcept of depreciation. "Hey", we say, "it is going to wear out (or become obsolete) and it is going to need to be replaced within X years, months, or weeks, so we better build the cost of replacement into the fee we are charging (to our customer or our P&L center)." Hence, we can judge if we are making a profit off of the entire life cycle of the tool (or building or whatever). Well, it is important to have built that same depreciation cost into any obsolete-able software product. Personally, I also believe that we, as both users of and/or developers of, such software, need to be mercy-less in our decision to slash and burn (that is replace) old software once the "cost depreciation designed-in obsolecent date" comes. That means, we need to be building and testing (or buying) next generation software before it is needed, so that it is ready when the previous generation is "tossed". D2

Graham Morley
(Unregistered)
04/19/06 12:16 AM
Re: Standard format across vendors [re: Robert]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

The two problems with "Standards" are:
1. which one do you adopt
2. they stifle potential future software development.

Maybe a better option than error prone translation is to use a general purpose native viewing tool, something like AutoVue from Cimmetry Systems is a good compromise.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

CST Webinar Series

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes GISCafe - Geographical Information Services  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy