EDAToolsCafe
   >> EDA User News and Reviews
Thread views: 8603 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Ralph Zak
(Unregistered)
10/09/08 03:03 PM
Cal vs. Stanford: EDAC vs. Itself new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Cal vs. Stanford: EDAC vs. Itself

Use this link to read the full article

Ralph Zak
(Unregistered)
new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi Peggy,
It has been a long time since we have gotten together. As a Cal grad, with a family of Cal grads, who went to Stanford B-school, I know exactly what you are saying about the differences in the personalities of the students, grads and faculty--the difference between kids of working/middle class families and the entitled few. Go Bears.
On your serious note, I was out of EDA for a few years and just joined one of those companies outside of Norcal who is making great strides. It is an Israeli company of entrepreneurs with reconfigurable processors as tools which do what we were doing at Quickturn and Aptix for 1/10th the cost, and with 1/100th the pain level. There is a passion, scrappiness and focus in such a company, that is hard to deny. It is compelling. The drive is like our early days at Quickturn, in our death battle with PiE Design, and equally hungry and focused startup. Much of that gets lost when you go public, and then get acquired by one of the big three, or four.
I think your points are right-on. For too many of our children, engineering, or biology, is just too much work. But if we don't put some fire in them, the exciting opportunities will all be overseas, across the dateline, or elsewhere.
ralph

Jim McKibben
(Unregistered)

Great article on the Kaufmann award Peggy. Enjoyed reading it!

Bruce Edmundson
(Unregistered)

Great article and undoubtedly true. However, Peggy got one fact unequivocally wrong: Cal is NOT going to beat Stanford on November 18. I hate to say it, as a (non-blueblood) Stanford grad myself, but Cal is going to beat Stanford on December 2 - they changed the schedule this year.

Hemanth
(Unregistered)

Peggy,
Good report from the event. I enoiyed reading it but I couldnt help but see that your comparison of the events would be slightly different for the reason that many on this side of the date line dont have an equivalent for the frat boys corner at least during events like these. The culture abhors any oppurtunity of slackening during formal gatherings attended by respected delegates.

Pilar Echeverria
(Unregistered)
Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I thought this was a delightfully well-written article (though I tend to always think that about your articles). However, don't flatter yourself, Peggy, about your status as a schoolmarm-turned-engineer. You are really an engineer-turned-schoolmarm-turned-engineer (though under that category you probably still don't quite fit the mold of the typical attendee of the EDAC dinner). Hence, there may still be a bit of a difference between you and the proverbial schoolmarm. Even with your truly dignified manners, I believe I have observed once or twice the frat (or sorority?) table gene slip out of you. As far as loud and raucous behavior goes, I can even picture you as the occasional queen of that table. (I seem to recall an accordion... a piano singer... some Irish drinking songs). In spite of the fact that everyone seems to grumble about 'those people' at a party, sometimes it is just grand to let it go and be one of 'those people.'
I loved your observations about the group dynamics in EDAC, and indeed the entire EDA industry. It is true that they are always the same... from today's EDA world (which clearly we all intimately experience from day to day), to tomorrow's EDA world... from the elementary school playground to the university social scene. However, most truly committed and successful groups of individuals exist by behaving as if they were the ones to invent group dynamics... which is always interesting to observe. The self-obsession you refer to is a survival technique, or at least a success trick. I can distinctly remember that some of the most successul science and engineering students I encountered in college were the ones who behaved with a confidence and immortality that belied their relatively insignificant role in today's world of over 6 billion and the grand scheme of yesterday, today, and tomorrow all added up.
My, but college seems like ages ago. Frat parties in my time consisted of some tea cakes, a corset, and invariably some waltzing. Perhaps I'll play the schoolgreatgrandmarm, and leave the schoolmarm to you.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

CST Webinar Series

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes GISCafe - Geographical Information Services  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy