>> EDA User News and Reviews
Thread views: 5905 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

04/05/11 08:21 PM
It doesn’t take a Genius to figure out that EDA has a Majo Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

It doesn’t take a Genius to figure out that EDA has a Major IMAGE PROBLEM8)\H\[܈HX\ٝ[\XHT)\\YYY\HHHܘx)

Use this link to read the full article

Gary Dare
04/05/11 08:21 PM
Magillem's IPO in November 2009 new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Mark, Apache would not be the only EDA IPO since Magma, a decade ago. If we take a global perspective, Magillem Design Services (Paris, France) had an IPO in late November 2009, and they trade on EuroNext. I felt that was the most underreported, even unreported story, in EDA that year.

Ben There
04/28/11 03:11 PM
EDA as a career isn't an option in the US new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Mr. Gilbert suggests that it's EDA's image that's led engineers to leave the field and keeps new college grads from choosing EDA as a career.
I was an EDA software engineer for several years in a Semiconductor company, then in a small EDA company that got bought by one of the Big Three and finally with another of the Big Three. I love EDA development - the technical challenges are engaging. The problems being solved are important.
However, I did not leave EDA by choice. That choice was made for me. My job and several others around me were sent overseas to (supposedly) save a little $$. Our jobs aren't coming back to the US - the bean counters at EDA companies have made that decision. So some of the best, most challenging EDA jobs are no longer in the US. And from what I hear from friends who are still employed in EDA, more and more EDA jobs are being sent overseas.
For the first six months or so after the layoff I had the idea that I would just get another EDA job. But they just weren't there. So I moved over to web development because opportunities abundant there and now I've got headhunters calling or emailing me 2 or 3 times per week - at least. The fact is there are very few jobs in the US in EDA (unless, perhaps you are willing to relocate to Silicon Valley, which I am not willing to do at this point ). So a lot of us have moved on to develop web or mobile apps which don't seem nearly as important (though, I have to admit, web development is more challenging than I thought it was from the outside) - but if you like being able to make the mortgage payment and eat, well, there's not a whole lot of choice.
Believe me, I'd live to move back to EDA software development, but realistically, that isn't happening. Best to move on.

EDA Refugee
05/05/11 11:55 AM
EDA has a stodgy, old-boys-network feel new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I think the EDA industry definitely has a stodgy, old-boys-network feel. It just doesn't feel like a very dynamic industry when you compare it with, say, web development for social networking. Now that I work in web dev (because my EDA job was shipped overseas) it just seems a lot more fast-paced. New languages, new frameworks, new libraries appear on just about a daily basis. For those of us who like learning new things that's kind of nice. Also, I find that these small startups (not in the EDA industry) can make decisions much faster - that could be hiring decisions, decisions about technologies, etc. EDA moves at a glacial pace by comparison.
A web or mobile app company can create a prototype and get funding in a matter of months. An EDA startup can take years to get to a working prototype. To some extent, I think the fault lies with the VC community: they can understand the web and fund quickly, but they don't want to bet on an EDA company where it can take years to get to payback.

Ron Green
05/13/11 01:35 PM
Still relevant after all these years... new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I don’t believe EDA has lost any of its own luster, so much as other industries have grown to outshine it. Through the 80’s and 90’s, EDA was a dynamic and rapidly growing field. The endless stream of improvements in design and fabrication techniques relentlessly drove development in EDA. The stunning cornucopia of products and technologies the world enjoys today are, in large measure, the product of the advancements in EDA technology.
Yes – that was a long time ago. But that doesn’t mean EDA has lost its relevance. Indeed, we find design challenges at every turn – shrinking semiconductor geometries, growing design complexities, greater demands in terms of power, noise, reliability – there appears to be no end in sight. The reality is that electronic systems of the future will not be realized without attendant advancements in the art and science of computer-aided design. Period.
You ask we jump up and scream just how vital EDA is to the development of electronics. I suspect your sentiment speaks to a frustration that pervades the EDA industry. Certainly it’s no fun to see all the fresh-faced grads drift towards the Googles and Facebooks of the world, or watch as people wield their shiny new toys – everything from smart phones, to satellite TVs, to pocket GPS systems – without ever really appreciating what it takes to make it all happen.
But screaming is not going to do it. It’s going to take an approach that is both more subtle, and more sophisticated (think: Steven Spielberg.) If the premier event in our industry – DAC – can’t shine a light on the connection between cool gadgets and cool tools, then perhaps we’ve got our heads stuck up our algorithms. Engineers live to solve problems; so now there’s a new one at hand. EDA has the brainpower to solve this one too. We just have to remember why we got into this in the first place, and bring that energy and excitement – and relevance – to the fore.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

S2C: FPGA Base prototyping- Download white paper

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes GISCafe - Geographical Information Services  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy