I’m a product manager at IMSI/Design, the makers of DoubleCAD. First let me say that we are sorry you are not satisfied with DoubleCAD. It is our goal to make DoubleCAD the best 2D CAD application available today by maintaining AutoCAD like workability, yet provide superior features and unmatched price/value. With that said, we would like to clarify a few things.
1. Our DoubleCAD XT product is Free and comparable to the AutoCAD LT feature set and beyond. DoubleCAD XT can also be used for commercial use so you will not see the restrictive “Created by an Educational Product…” plot stamp or EDU message that gets permanently encoded into drawing data created or saved by Autodesk student version applications.
2. Our more advanced DoubleCAD XT Pro product is actually $149 not $600+ for our student version, again with no enforced restrictions on use.
3. DoubleCAD, like AutoCAD, fully utilizes menus, toolbars, palettes, keyboard aliases, and even the command line for efficient CAD drafting.
4. DoubleCAD version 2.1 has much more efficient Esc key, Spacebar, and Enter key command functionality much like AutoCAD. Perhaps you were using an older version?
5. DoubleCAD is designed to be an AutoCAD work-alike, therefore if you know AutoCAD, you should have no problem learning DoubleCAD, likewise if you know DoubleCAD, learning AutoCAD would be similar.
6. DoubleCAD XT and DoubleCAD XT Pro have numerous features not available in AutoCAD LT. To name a few: constraints, ability to create and manage cross sections and elevations with drafting palette, hatch pattern creator, Specify draw order by layer, drawing compare, SketchUp, Rhino, DAE import/export, better interoperability, architectural objects, and the list goes on... Please see http://www.doublecad.com/Portals/13/PDF/DoubleCADcompmatrix_6-24-10.pdf for a comprehensive chart of additional features available only in DoubleCAD.
Hopefully this has cleared up some misconceptions you have stated about DoubleCAD and please feel free to contact us directly if you have additional questions or would like more information.