EDAToolsCafe
   >> EDA User News and Reviews
Thread views: 11084 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

(Unregistered)
02/02/10 02:42 PM
Agilent EEsof EDA – Part I new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Agilent EEsof EDA – Part I

Use this link to read the full article

anon anon
(Unregistered)
02/05/10 09:51 AM
Good chronology new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Interesting to see the history.

d s b
(Unregistered)
02/05/10 12:06 PM
Nice timeline new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

good historical overview highlighting the players in this market

eda customer
(Unregistered)
02/05/10 01:18 PM
Nicely complete new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Lots of good detail, can't wait to see the followup Part II.

Chairman Mao
(Unregistered)
02/05/10 04:27 PM
Peoples Republic of EDA Cafe? new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I can only guess that my review will not be posted... or not for very long anyways....
What is wrong with this website? It seems that if anyone has a different viewpoint from the author they get their opinions deleted. This is why John Cooley is the best source of information on EDA tools at deepchip.com. He is the only one that allows users to strike back when EDA companies and PR people try to make lies about EDA tools.
I cannot believe such a story about EEsof. I use other EDA tools in Japan, but it is not a competitor... yet this story seems like a Fable not a true perspective. Anyway... i will not waste time writing my opinion anymore since the editors just delete what they do not like.

Chris Paris
(Unregistered)
02/05/10 06:44 PM
Rose tinted spectacles new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I note that you deleted a previous review criticising this article. I agreed with many of the points raised in the deleted review (although they were a little blunt) and hope that the deletion was an error rather than an inability to accept criticism.
Having worked for EEsof at the time of the Hewlett Packard acquisition, for the combined entity for a year afterwards and currently for AWR, Agilent-EEsof's largest competitor in this space I feel I am qualified to make some comments on this eulogy which I felt bordered on the sycophantic. As the previous review pointed out it is also misleading.
Firstly I must take issue with the statement "Agilent EEsof has continued to flourish". Within the last 6 months Agilent EEsof has laid off around a hundred people, lost its divisional status and been merged into the Component Test group. In addition, the former divisional VP whom you quote in your article, Jim McGillivary, has "resigned" from the company and there is hardly a week goes by when I do not see a CV from an Agilent EEsof employee (both current and ex-employees) - in fact my company has hired six ex-Agilent employees in the last year. Does that sound like a "flourishing operation" to you? I suggest you pay attention to the various message boards populated by Agilent EEsof employees rather than corporate statements if you want a true picture of the current situation there.
One statement I can agree with is "With the merger in 1993, the mood is said to have instantly changed." It took Agilent several years to understand that supporting an EDA product was very different to supporting instrumentation and they tried to shoehorn EEsof support into the HP support system which predictably failed. You note in your article that both EEsof's founders left within a year but in addition more than half of the EEsof sales staff gave up the uneven battle with HP "we know best" attitude and also left the company within two years of the takeover. I should also point out that EEsof's sales were almost double HP's EDA sales at the time of takeover rather than being about the same as you state.
In common with the previous (deleted) reviewer I hope the second half of this article is more balanced and mentions, for example, the 5 years of customer nightmares transitioning from MDS/Series IV to ADS.
I did enjoy the article as it's always interesting to look back at how the industry has evolved, hence my rating of 3/5. I just felt it wasn't a balanced assessment of the experiences of the employees or the users both in 1993 and 2010 - hence the title of my review. I accept that as an employee of a direct competitor I have an obvious bias but I think you will find all the facts stated in my review are correct.

Rational Engineer
(Unregistered)
02/07/10 04:52 PM
Think before you post Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I enjoyed your article Russ. Also, it’s probably not what was intended, but I think AWR’s response above says more about their company than it does about their competitor featured in your interview. You’ve got to wonder if this is the tone and culture sponsored from the CEO on down. That would never fly in my company. So I guess I would say that I’m indeed influenced by the AWR response, but probably not in the way they intended for me to be.

I'm Embarrassed
(Unregistered)
02/07/10 10:16 PM
Embarrassed new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I'm personally embarrassed by Chris' response and similar rhetoric from others @ corporate. Take a look at Cooley's anonymous tip. Guess where it comes from. We don't need to stoop to this kind of behavior. We have a good product. Why can't we compete on that. I don't believe what I'm told from above. Most of us don't. All this whining and hate reflects badly on the us and badly on me personally. At least Agilent has standards they try to live up to. I wish we has the same.

Santanu Roy
(Unregistered)
02/08/10 02:24 PM
Santanu Roy new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Enjoyed the article. I worked in Australia back in the late 80s and we had Touchstone and Academy later. Thoroughly loved using them for microwave circuit design ( amplifiers and passive circuits ). Still used to use rubylith then and had to buy that silly diamond head cutter and ruby from the states. Used to have a great time with the EESOF team writing bug reports ( even visted EESOF once when back packing trip from Australia - very nerdy !! ). When series 4 came it was hard to get used to but we used it ( altghough I seemed to remember many did not make the switch and kept the older versions ) - microwave engineers getting angry at SW - now there's a sight. We had Eagleware also but used it for the filter synthesis tool
Now I use AWR at work but I am evaluating ADS - ADS is the best !!!! Love it( and I have used Ansoft also ) !!!! Still learning lots and still enjoy circuit design even after 20 years.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

CST Webinar Series

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes GISCafe - Geographical Information Services  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy