EDAToolsCafe
   >> EDA User News and Reviews
Thread views: 5916 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Larry
(Unregistered)
10/09/08 03:03 PM
You mean there is a right and wrong way to interviewing - think American Idol Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

You mean there is a right and wrong way to interviewing - think American Idol

Use this link to read the full article

Larry
(Unregistered)
new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

During my periods of job-seeking I've gotten every imaginable sort of "advice" from recruiters... from the absurd to the just plain obnoxious. One actually gave me techniques to "lie" my way past receptionists, to try to pester people inside companies. All want to stress "passion", "excitement" and other marketing-speak. They all want you to have a "30-second elevator talk" prepared to spring on unsuspecting strangers, as if you were chasing down a job in marketing or selling used cars.
Having been on the hiring side of the technical interviewing process many times, it's ridiculously easy to see someone who's been "prepped" for an interview with phony techniques and enthusiasm that just not part of their personality. It's fun to tear down these candidates and blow away all the phoniness, and get them to the point where they can just "be themselves" and start the interview over again.
What are the _real_ keys to a successful interview? How about:
Clear communication, both written and oral. A resume _should_ concisely tell the whole story. It must be complete, and clear. A strong relevant technical resume will usually get a candidate through the initial screening process, all by itself.
Be yourself. Say "I don't know" when you don't know, and follow up with _relevant_ questions if you can. If you can't, say so. Bluffing is a waste of time for all involved.
Be yourself. Don't add (or subtract) emotion, passion, etc. from yourself in an attempt to show the interviewer what you think he wants to see. No matter what a recruiter will tell you, you can't possibly know what will appeal to the interviewer. There are many ways to express energy and excitement and unfortunately, most recruiters will tell you _their_ way of doing this, and that's of no help to you.
Be yourself. You'll feel better about yourself afterward (because no matter how you slice it, interviewing is a dirty, degrading process). And if you're hired as a result, everyone will be more satisfied in the long run.

Mark Gilbert
(Unregistered)
new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I love the response from Larry. He is absolutely right. The part I take objection to is the lumping of recruiters into a single negative category. Any recruiter that would tell you to lie, and mis-represent yourself is not worthy of representing you. Having said that, a recruiter that preps you properly is worth his/her weight in gold. All to often people under interview, and neglect selling thier skills honestly and properly. So I say to larry, and all of you, write a strong resume, (check out "writing a good resume at www.eda-careers.com), and make sure you show the true passion you feel about your skills and career goals. Be honest, be yourself, but remember, interviewing is an audition, and if you want the part, audition, interview like you do!

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

CST Webinar Series

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes GISCafe - Geographical Information Services  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy