New Controller Provides Simultaneous iSCSI, FCoE and TCP Chimney Offload to Drive the Transition to 10GbE for Enterprise and Data Center ApplicationsIRVINE, Calif., Feb. 3 — (PRNewswire) — Broadcom Corporation (Nasdaq: BRCM), a global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications, today announced its next generation single-chip, dual-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet (10GbE) converged network interface controller (C-NIC) for server LAN-on-motherboard (LOM), add-in network card and storage adapter applications. The Broadcom® BCM57712 enables bi-directional 10 Gigabit per second (Gbps) line rates on two ports, resulting in a total throughput of 40 Gbps. It also delivers an unprecedented industry-leading storage performance of over one million IOPS (input/output operations per second) for Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) and iSCSI offload. The BCM57712 10GbE C-NIC is part of Broadcom's NetXtreme II® controller family, which provides networking and storage connectivity, and hardware-based acceleration and offload capabilities that free the server CPU for application processing tasks.
- Broadcom is a proven industry leader with a 5 year history of providing converged Ethernet network adapters that enable the simultaneous processing of network, storage, and management traffic on-chip, as well as the convergence of different traffic types over a single Ethernet fabric.
- With the introduction of the BCM57712, Broadcom continues to help drive mass market adoption of 10GbE by delivering on its promise of converged networking solutions with cost-effective on-chip protocol acceleration combined with high performance, advanced virtualization and congestion management features.
- The new Broadcom BCM57712 10GbE C-NIC:
- Enables enterprise server users to realize the promise of a 10 Gbps solution that is cost-optimized for mass deployment and incorporates cutting-edge features such as simultaneous iSCSI, FCoE and TCP Chimney offload, support for Data Center Bridging (DCB), PCI-SIG SR-IOV, and embedded virtual bridge (EVB) for efficient virtual machine-to-virtual machine switching.
- Is the world's first 10GbE controller to support IEEE 802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) to complement Broadcom's offload technology, which by itself can allow a system to save as much as 22 watts of system power per 10GbE port.
- Is part of Broadcom's 10GbE controller family, which includes the world's only Ethernet controllers able to perform simultaneous offload over a single- or dual-port configuration in any desired combination of FCoE, iSCSI, networking or management traffic. Data center administrators can now use a single Ethernet port for multiple traffic types, or can choose to run one traffic type without having to deploy custom hardware and software for it.
- Provides high throughput and low latency, which are critical for the cloud computing market, allowing IT administrators to achieve non-blocking connectivity between servers. It is also well-suited for the high packet processing rates of the Financial Services Industry, which can benefit from increased 10 Gbps Ethernet data rates and lower latencies.
- Is a follow-on to the company's highly successful BCM57711 and BCM57710 controllers that have provided Broadcom with a strong position in the 10GbE controller market.
- Is available in sample quantities to early access customers.
Vinod Lakhani, Senior Director & General Manager, Broadcom's High-Speed Controller line of business
"With the incredible growth of content that challenges today's data centers, networking infrastructure truly needs the 10GbE speed upgrade to support the demand for increased bandwidth. Our BCM57712 achieves the highest bi-directional dual-port throughput performance possible for 10GbE networking and is the only solution today that performs simultaneous offload over a single port in any desired combination. The higher throughput and low latency makes this solution ideal for data intensive applications supporting cloud computing and financial services networks as well as storage HBA applications looking to benefit from high IOPS."
Subscribe to RSS Feed: Broadcom Enterprise Networking Group
Broadcom Corporation is a major technology innovator and global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom products enable the delivery of voice, video, data and multimedia to and throughout the home, the office and the mobile environment. We provide the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and software solutions to manufacturers of computing and networking equipment, digital entertainment and broadband access products, and mobile devices. These solutions support our core mission: Connecting everything®.
Broadcom, one of the world's largest fabless semiconductor companies, with 2009 revenue of $4.49 billion, holds more than 3,800 U.S. and 1,550 foreign patents, and has more than 7,800 additional pending patent applications, and one of the broadest intellectual property portfolios addressing both wired and wireless transmission of voice, video, data and multimedia.
A FORTUNE 500® company, Broadcom is headquartered in Irvine, Calif., and has offices and research facilities in North America, Asia and Europe. Broadcom may be contacted at +1.949.926.5000 or at www.broadcom.com.
Cautions regarding Forward-Looking Statements:
All statements included or incorporated by reference in this release, other than statements or characterizations of historical fact, are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on our current expectations, estimates and projections about our industry and business, management's beliefs, and certain assumptions made by us, all of which are subject to change. Forward-looking statements can often be identified by words such as "anticipates," "expects," "intends," "plans," "predicts," "believes," "seeks," "estimates," "may," "will," "should," "would," "could," "potential," "continue," "ongoing," similar expressions, and variations or negatives of these words. Examples of such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, the demand for 10 Gigabit Ethernet connectivity in data centers, our position in that market, and references to industries that can benefit from increased 10 Gbps Ethernet data rates. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future results and are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions that could cause our actual results to differ materially and adversely from those expressed in any forward-looking statement.
Important factors that may cause such a difference for Broadcom in connection with the BCM57712 10GbE converged network interface controller include, but are not limited to:
- Changes in our product or customer mix;
- Fluctuations in the manufacturing yields of our third party semiconductor foundries and other problems or delays in the fabrication, assembly, testing or delivery of our products;
- The timing of customer-industry qualification and certification of our products and the risks of non-qualification or non-certification;
- Competitive pressures and other factors such as the qualification, availability and pricing of competing products and technologies and the resulting effects on sales and pricing of our products; and
- Our ability to timely and accurately predict market requirements and evolving industry standards and to identify opportunities in new markets.
Additional factors that may cause Broadcom's actual results to differ materially from those expressed in forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to the list that can be found at http://www.broadcom.com/press/additional_risk_factors/Q12010.php.
Our Annual Report on Form 10-K, subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, recent Current Reports on Form 8-K, and other Securities and Exchange Commission filings discuss the foregoing risks as well as other important risk factors that could contribute to such differences or otherwise affect our business, results of operations and financial condition. The forward-looking statements in this release speak only as of this date. We undertake no obligation to revise or update publicly any forward-looking statement, except as required by law.
Broadcom, the pulse logo, Connecting everything, the Connecting everything logo and NetXtreme II are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
Heather A. Roberts
Media Relations Manager
T. Peter Andrew
Vice President, Corporate Communications
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Enterprise Networking
BRCM Enterprise Networking
Trade Press, Heather A. Roberts, Media Relations Manager
Investor Relations, T. Peter Andrew, Vice President, Corporate Communications
Email Contact both of Broadcom Corporation