Advanced Design Boosts Accuracy and Reduces Power ConsumptionLAS VEGAS, Jan. 6, 2016 — (PRNewswire) — CES International 2016
- Improves accuracy and positioning with simultaneous tri-band reception of all visible GNSS satellites
- Integrates sensor hub and central processing unit (CPU) to reduce power consumption
- Surpasses stringent AEC-Q100 requirements for automotive applications
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced the addition of a new Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) wireless connectivity chip to its automotive portfolio. The BCM89774 provides improved location and positioning while lowering power consumption for in-vehicle applications and reduces bill of materials (BOM) cost for car makers. For more CES news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom.
Automotive GPS shipments are expected to more than double by 2022, creating significant opportunities among component suppliers and increasing competition for market share. As the only wideband capture radio technology to offer simultaneous tri-band reception of all visible GNSS satellites including US GPS, European GAL, Japanese QZSS, Russian GLONASS, Chinese BDS and global SBAS augmentation systems, Broadcom's BCM89774 sets itself apart by delivering original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) one of the most accurate solutions available today. The new chip also improves positioning in dense urban environments and foliage-blocked areas to enhance the consumer experience.
Additionally, by integrating the sensor hub and CPU on a single chip, Broadcom significantly reduces power consumption and lowers BOM cost for automotive manufacturers. Optimized to meet the rigorous standards of the automotive industry, the BCM89774 has been tested to AECQ100 automotive environmental stress requirements, is manufactured in TS16949 certified facilities and offers full production part approval process (PPAP) support.
"Broadcom's new GNSS connectivity chip for automotive keeps car makers and tier one suppliers ahead of the curve with advanced precision and reduced power consumption while lowering BOM cost," said Richard Barrett, Broadcom Director of Automotive Wireless Connectivity. "By delivering premium products that meet automotive grade requirements, we are positioned for growth in this accelerating market."
- Low-power mode for emergency service and theft tracking applications
- Location awareness capabilities added to traditional functions of a sensor hub for lower power consumption and BOM costs
- Simultaneous reception of GPS, GLONASS, BDS, QZSS and Galileo navigation satellites
- Support for global Satellite Based Augmentation System (SBAS) system
- Management of CAN BUS inputs and sensors such as accelerometers, gyroscopes, and magnetometers to provide a fused sensor data tracking subsystem
- Best-in-class acquisition, tracking sensitivity and time-to-first-fix in both cold and hot starts
- Full pass through capability for external host-based systems
- Tested to AECQ100 automotive environmental stress requirements and manufactured in TS16949 certified facilities
- Full production part approval process (PPAP) support
The BCM89774 is currently sampling.
1 Strategy Analytics, Automotive Infotainment Systems Q4 2015: Connectivity Solutions Continue to Drive Growth, October 2015
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With one of the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything® and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
T. Peter Andrew
Vice President, Treasury & Investor Relations
Director, Investor Relations
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/broadcom-announces-new-automotive-global-navigation-chip-300197859.html
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Wireless and Connectivity
BRCM Wireless and Connectivity