Toronto, Ontario, November 22, 2004 -- The world’s most popular, cost-effective and easy-to-use simulation software is now the most powerful simulation system available. Core to its programming, Multisim 8 takes advantage of today’s higher performing computers and modern software architecture. This saves designers thousands of mouse clicks and allows a design to be captured almost as fast as it can be conceptualized. Repetitive capture tasks are optimized, so the designer is freer to create, test and ultimately perfect their designs, resulting in superior products and minimizing time-to-market.
In Electronics Workbench’s benchmark studies, Multisim 8 provides an almost 50% timesavings for the existing 160,000 Multisim users. For engineers not simulating their designs or for those using more cumbersome tools, Multisim 8 reduces their creation time even more substantially.
Multisim 8 includes “real” Virtual Instruments from Tektronix. Before Multisim 8, engineers waited until a design was completely manufactured before beginning to test their prototype board. For the majority of designs, this meant that testing occurred far too late in the design flow to be truly beneficial. These tools are now provided within the Multisim 8 suite, allowing engineers to validate and optimize their circuits at the earliest possible stage of the design – during schematic entry.
Multisim 8 includes Dynamic Probes, a new, powerful time-saving function. An unlimited number of probes can be placed on the schematic to annotate a circuit with real-time, dynamic values such as current and voltage, providing immediate feedback and accelerating the design process.
Simulation Profiles, another previously unavailable function, allows the user to configure, save and reuse complete SPICE simulation parameter setups, resulting in even greater time savings. Tool-tip Style Notes allow notes to be attached to any point in the circuit. Design notes, annotations and comments from reviewers automatically pop-up when mousing over a circuit. The design engineer may toggle between all notes, no notes or notes made by a specific individual. Both Simulation Profiles and Tool-tip Style Notes are new functions which help Electronics Workbench users gain a competitive advantage by exceeding their time-to-market goals.
Other Multisim benefits include:
1. New Model Makers: this functionality supplements Multisim’s extensive component library, facilitating the rapid creation of even more types of component models from data book values (such as transformers, converters, motors, etc.).
2. A New Worst-Case Algorithm: this function tests circuits under the worst expected conditions incorporating the statistical variations of real world component values during the upfront simulation stage.
3. New Amplifier Circuit Wizard: this feature automatically creates circuitry that matches user-supplied parameters. This ability, like the other existing Multisim wizards, stems from the tight integration of Multisim’s schematic capture and simulation features. The capture engine uses the simulation functionality to “look ahead” and create circuitry that behaves as specified by the user. Electronics Workbench’s new Support and Upgrade Utility automatically checks and installs software updates
and new releases over the web, assuring that users work with the most up-to-date version. Multisim 8 pricing starts at $1,995. Complete design suites range from $3,995 to $6,995. For more information contact Electronics Workbench at 800.263.5552, or at
Photography available: You can download a higher resolution image at this URL:
Caption: Multisim 8 includes “real” Virtual Instruments from Tektronix. Dynamic Probes are placed on the schematic to annotate a circuit with real-time dynamic values such as current and voltage.
Supporting information for Multisim 8 for Schematic Capture Enhancements
Multisim 8 – Schematic Capture Enhancements
Integral to Multisim 8 is its enhanced schematic capture functionality. Both to and from simulation, the built-in intelligence in Multisim 8’s capture function reduces schematic creation time and adds greater support for more complex designs.
- Significant improvements to wiring save time and increase flexibility:
- Touching a component’s pin(s) to a wire, bus or other component
automatically creates a connection
- Graphical feedback ensures that all connections are made as intended
- Wires can be started anywhere (not just from a pin)
- Parts can be easily rotated prior to placement
- Variant Support allows designer to create a single design that can variably
manufactured to serve multiple purposes (e.g. NA and European voltage):
- One schematic for multiple variants
- Fully compatible with simulation, printing and reports
- Full support for hierarchical designs and ERC
- Vastly improved Bus Support for advanced designs:
- Robust placement and editing of buses
- Powerful new Bus Vector connect (unique / significant time-savings)
- New Bus Merge functionality
- New off-page, hierarchical and sub-circuit bus connectors
- Powerful and enhanced Support for Hierarchical Designs:
- New hierarchical viewer allows the efficient navigation of nested circuits
- Interactive components and virtual instruments can be used within nested
- New optimizer packs multi-section parts efficiently into chips across
- Improved ERC:
- Circuit annotated with visual error makers
- “Zoom to error” feature
- Enhancements to the component browser make finding parts even faster
- Internal spreadsheet now completely compatible with MS Excel – import /
export takes advantage of Excel’s powerful advanced features
- Components in circuit can be automatically saved to the parts database
About Electronics Workbench
Electronics Workbench is a world leader in the EDA industry. The Company’s suite of high-performance tools enables the creation of printed circuit boards which are designed into next-generation electronic products. With over 160,000 users, the Electronics Workbench portfolio delivers the most widely used schematic capture and simulation software. The Company’s sophisticated front-to-back-end solutions include schematic capture, simulation (i.e. SPICE, VHDL and patented co-simulation), PCB layout, autorouting and CAM tools. No other board design system has been developed from the ground up specifically for today’s advanced PCs and operating systems. By integrating powerful functionality, a user-friendly environment and the industry’s most modern software architecture, the circuit designer achieves superior, unparalleled performance. Electronics Workbench dramatically reduces time-to-market by enabling the development and production of PCBs faster and more accurately than any other board layout system. For more information visit Electronics Workbench at