300- to 4800-MHz IQ modulator integrates wideband LO synthesizer, reducing cost while simplifying designDALLAS, Oct. 21 — (PRNewswire) — Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) today introduced the industry's first integrated IQ modulator in full production for the wireless infrastructure market. The high-performance TRF372017 integrates a direct up-conversion IQ modulator with a phase-locked loop (PLL) and wideband voltage crystal oscillator (VCO) to simplify local oscillator (LO) design and reduce board space. The TRF372017 provides an ultra-wide continuous tuning range – 300 to 4800 MHz – enabling customers to save time and reduce costs by eliminating the need for an external LO while qualifying and stocking a single IQ modulator for all 3GPP and 3GPP2 standards, as well as licensed WiMAX. For more information and to order samples of the TRF372017 integrated IQ modulator, visit www.ti.com/trf372017-pr.
Key features and benefits
- Achieves an output third-order intercept (OIP3) of 26 dBm, delivering high linearity to meet the spectral mask standards for wireless infrastructure applications, such as wireless base stations, wireless local loop, point-to-point microwave and software-defined radio.
- Provides a low noise floor of -160 dBm/Hz, enabling a high transmit signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) and improved error vector magnitude across an ultra-wide continuous tuning range. This includes GSM, W-CDMA, CDMA2000, LTE, TD-SCDMA and WiMAX frequency bands.
- Reduces bill-of-materials cost by integrating the LO and providing an LO synthesizer output with independent frequency dividers to drive additional transmit or receive signal chains.
- Simplifies design and allows for smaller end equipment by integrating a baseband bias voltage generator and DC offset adjustment digital-to-analog converter (DAC). This high level of integration enables a compact, highly-linear wideband transmitter architecture with a passive interface to the communications DAC, such as TI's DAC3283, the industry's smallest dual 16-bit, 800 MSPS DAC.
Availability and pricing
The TRF372017 integrated IQ modulator is available now in a 7-mm x 7-mm QFN-48 package, priced at $5.50 in quantities of 1,000.
Tools and support
The TRF372017 is included on the DAC3283 evaluation module (DAC3283EVM), which, for $499, offers a complete digital-to-RF platform for rapid evaluation of a complete transmit solution. A stand-alone TRF372017 evaluation module (TRF372017EVM) is also available, priced at $299.
When designing systems with the TRF372017 integrated IQ modulator, TI's free Loop Filter Calculator Tool can help reduce design time. The tool models performance based on design inputs provided by the systems engineer and will plot expected open/closed loop gain, phase margin and PLL phase noise.
Additional support is available on the High Performance RF Modulators, PLL and VCO Products forum in the TI E2E™ Community, where customers can ask questions, share knowledge, explore ideas, and help solve problems.
Learn more about TI's signal chain portfolio by visiting the links below:
- TRF372017 samples and evaluation modules: www.ti.com/trf372017-pr
- DAC3283 evaluation module: www.ti.com/dac3283evm-pr
- Communications infrastructure solutions guide: www.ti.com/ciguide-pr
- "LO Harmonic Effect of I/Q Modulator Sideband Suppression" application note: www.ti.com/iqmodulatorsidebandsuppression-pr
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through manufacturing, design and sales operations in more than 30 countries. For more information, go to www.ti.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated
|Texas Instruments Incorporated
Kristina Arnold of Texas Instruments
Laura Babbili of GolinHarris
Email Contact for Texas Instruments