CHICAGO – March 2, 2009 – The International Engineering Consortium (IEC) today announced the winners of the 2009 DesignCon Paper Awards recognizing outstanding contributions to the educational goals of the DesignCon program. Papers are judged both on the merits of the written document and on the quality of their presentation at DesignCon events.
“The caliber of this year’s technical program illustrates great strides in the industry and we’re pleased to honor the most outstanding contributions with the 2009 DesignCon Paper Awards,” commented IEC Content Director Dr. Barry Sullivan. “We would like to thank all those that participated, especially the Technical Program Committee, for lending their insight and expertise to this high-quality event.”
The winners were chosen from among the 2009 finalists selected by a panel of judges comprised from members of the DesignCon 2009 Technical Program Committee, 129 of the industry's top thought leaders that develop the exceptional educational program. This year’s event featured the largest technical program ever with nearly 100 paper presentations.
The 2009 DesignCon Paper Award winners include the following authors and papers in their respective categories:
- Nitin Chawla, Harvinder Singh, Gagan Midha, Thierry Michel, Pierre Busson, and Pascal Urard, “Design Space Exploration for High Performance Signal Processing Hardware using ESL Design Methodologies”
- Rajeev Ranjan, Homayoon Akhiani, Yann Antonioli, Craig Deaton, Norris Ip, and Lawrence Loh, “Towards Harnessing the True Potential of IP Reuse”
Board and System Design
- Donald Telian, Paul Larson, Ravinder Ajmani, Kent Dramstad, and Adge Hawes, “New Serial Link Simulation Process, 6 Gbps SAS Case Study”
High-Speed and RF Design
- Ali Enteshari and Mohsen Kavehrad, “40/100 Gbps Transmission over Copper”
- Philippe Sochoux, Morris Hsu, Alpesh Bhobe, and Jinghan Yu, “EMI from SerDes Differential Pairs”
- Vishram S. Pandit, Ashish N. Pardiwala, Hsiao-ching Chuang, Myoung J. Choi, and Md. Ruhul Quddus, “SSO Noise, Eye Margin, and Jitter Characterization for I/O Power Integrity”
- Chong Ding, Divya Gopinath, Steve Scearce, Mike Steinberger, and Doug White, “A Simple Via Experiment”
- Eric Bogatin, Lambert Simonovich, Sanjeev Gupta, and Mike Resso, “Practical Analysis of Backplane Vias”
Power Integrity and Power-Aware Design
- Jason R. Miller, Gustavo J. Blando, Roger Dame, K. Barry A. Williams, and Istvan Novak, “Examining the Impact of Split Planes on Signal and Power Integrity”
Test and Measurement
- Yuriy Shlepnev, Alfred Neves, Tom Dagostino, and Scott McMorrow, “Measurement-Assisted Electromagnetic Extraction of Interconnect Parameters on Low-Cost FR-4 boards for 6-20 Gb/sec Applications”
The 2009 Paper Award winners will be presented during the inaugural DesignCon Awards Gala giving tribute to the achievements of the most prominent visionaries in the electronic design and semiconductor industry at DesignCon 2010 in Santa Clara.
For information on sponsorship opportunities for the evening gala at DesignCon 2010 contact Christine Paplaczyk at Email Contact or +1-312-559-4616. Table reservations will open online closer to the event.
About DesignCon 2009
Taking place annually in Silicon Valley, DesignCon serves as the premier event for practicing engineers in the electrical design and semiconductor communities. Broadening the scope to address business as well as technical issues in the industry, DesignCon 2009 hosted more than 120 exhibiting companies and drew approximately 5,000 industry professionals to register. This year, with more than 125 sessions and tutorials and more than 350 industry leaders speaking, DesignCon 2009 hosted the largest technical program in its history. DesignCon 2009 also premiered the IP Summit, a special featured program of the conference and exhibition.
About the IEC
A nonprofit organization, the IEC is dedicated to catalyzing technology and business progress worldwide in a range of high-technology industries and their university communities. Since 1944, the IEC has provided high-quality educational opportunities for industry professionals, academics, and students.
In conjunction with industry-leading companies, the IEC has developed an extensive, free, on-line educational program. The IEC conducts industry-university programs that have substantial impact on curricula. It also conducts research and develops publications, conferences, and technological exhibits that address major opportunities and challenges of the information age.
More than 70 leading high-technology universities are IEC affiliates, and the IEC handles the affairs of the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department Heads Association and Eta Kappa Nu, the honor society for electrical and computer engineers. Please visit www.iec.org.