Combination of QuickPlay’s innovative Software Defined FPGA development platform and QuickStore self-service IP library enables non FPGA experts to create FPGA designs rapidly and efficiently
SAN JOSE, Calif. — (BUSINESS WIRE) — June 22, 2016 — Today, PLDA GROUP announces the launch of its QuickStore online marketplace where QuickPlay users can select FPGA IP from multiple vendors to be used within their FPGA designs. QuickStore is a critical element of the QuickPlay strategy to bring FPGA design to a large audience of developers, way beyond the traditional pool of FPGA experts.
“I feel PLDA is onto something with QuickPlay” said Dick Selwood of EEJournal. "But a great tool is typically not enough, and PLDA’s focus on the ecosystem, rather than just a standalone tool, is a shrewd decision, which should give PLDA an edge in a difficult, yet fast-growing market."
Today, the use of IP in FPGA designs is a challenge for most users:
- Finding the right IP is a long process that often requires interactions with numerous IP vendors
- Integrating IP can be difficult and costly when having to navigate documentation, customization options, and heterogeneous user interfaces
- Evaluating IP in hardware is often limited or impractical, based on a predefined configuration or part of a specific design that are far from the conditions of the final deployment
IP vendors must cope with these challenges, consequently focusing on servicing a small number of high-value customers and ignoring a large number of smaller customers.
The objective with QuickStore is to provide developers with IP that is easy to integrate and evaluate in QuickPlay, affordable to license, and therefore at reach of all potential users. For this QuickStore offers:
- Simple access: a growing selection of IP from multiple vendors directly available to all QuickPlay users in application domains such as datacenter, vision, imaging.
- Effortless integration: The Plug and Play nature of QuickPlay guaranties seamless connection of IP, and simplifies integration of new IP.
- Push-button evaluation: QuickPlay offers a built-in try-before-you-buy that enhances users’ confidence in their IP selection and security for the IP vendor.
- Direct purchase: QuickStore offers a simple one stop shop where QuickPlay users can procure multiple IP from multiple vendors at once.
- Flexible licensing: QuickPlay changes the paradigm for IP sales as it offers a pay as you go mechanism. The simplified sales process and reduced support effort enable IP vendors to fully leverage QuickPlay’s runtime licensing model. Customers pay per instantiation of the IP and are therefore not penalized by the traditional high upfront cost of IP.
All in all, QuickStore enables IP offering to meet IP demand in a way
that was not possible before. For IP vendors QuickStore offers Intellectual
Property Protection, ensuring that their valuable IP will not get
lost or be misused, and Business Protection, ensuring that they
will get remunerated according to the usage of their IP. For FPGA users
QuickStore provides access to high value IP that were out of reach of
many engineers because of their upfront cost and their complexity to
The combination of QuickPlay and QuickStore puts the barriers to FPGA adoption lower than ever before: QuickPlay for its true Software-Defined approach to FPGA design, and QuickStore for enabling an ecosystem that bridges the gap between vendors of FPGA design pieces and developers of FPGA enabled applications.
“When we launched QuickPlay in early 2015 it was clear that this tool had the potential to bring the FPGA devices at reach of a much larger community of developers” said Gael Paul, CTO and Chief Architect for QuickPlay, “but it was also clear that reducing the barriers to adoption of IP was going to be as critical an element in the offering. I am proud to see this vision becoming a reality today with QuickStore.”
As of today QuickStore contains IP from ALSE, Auviz Systems, CAST,
Concurrent EDA, Crucial IP, Enyx and Image Matters. Work is currently
ongoing to add IP from additional vendors in the near future.
IP vendors interested to join the QuickAlliance and make their IP available on the QuickStore marketplace should contact the partnership group at firstname.lastname@example.org
Users looking to learn more about QuickPlay, QuickStore and interested to start a QuickPlay project can visit http:// www.quickplay.io or sign up for a QuickPlay account at http://quickstore.quickplay.io
QuickPlay v2.1 is available today and supports numerous boards from Xilinx, ReFLEX and Image Matters. More FPGA platforms are being considered. The tool can be evaluated at no cost. Please visit QuickPlay online at www.quickplay.io or contact the QuickPlay team for details.