- Cumulative sales leap from one billion reached in May 2014 to two billion in February 2016, contributing to ST's MCU market-share growth
- MCUs offer class-leading device performance, code efficiency, versatile peripherals, and reliability/robustness
- China a key market, with strong contributions from distribution partners Willas-Array, Wintech, and Yosun
GENEVA, April 5, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- STMicroelectronics (NYSE: STM), a global semiconductor leader serving customers across the spectrum of electronics applications, has surpassed two billion unit sales of its robust and versatile STM8 microcontrollers, less than two years after reaching one billion unit sales, noting particularly strong success in China.
Aided by these accelerating STM8 sales, ST's share of the general-purpose microcontroller market has grown to 12.7% in 2015 from 8.2% in 2013, according to World Semiconductor Trade Statistics (WSTS). "The STM8 has become one of the world's most popular microcontrollers, and is a sturdy pillar of our strategy," said Daniel Colonna, Microcontrollers Marketing Director, STMicroelectronics. "As with all of our MCUs, we are committed to supporting STM8 for the long term, and we'll continue to strengthen our market position."
The STM8 provides an economical and efficient electronic brain for smart devices in daily use throughout the world, such as white goods, consumer products, automotive control units (ECUs), and industrial controls. It combines class-leading computing power and competitive pricing with support for memory-efficient coding, low power consumption, high feature integration, versatile configurations, and an outstanding development ecosystem that facilitates design, debug, and prototyping. In addition, built-in memory cycling and error checking, as well as high reliability for automotive applications, have made STM8 a benchmark for robust embedded performance.
The large number of devices shipped reflects the microcontroller's appeal to OEMs serving high-volume markets, and the work of ST's distributors worldwide who have helped design STM8 devices into a wide variety of projects. Sales performance has been particularly impressive in China through ST's top microcontroller distributors, Willas-Array, Wintech and Yosun, targeting products for the country's domestic market as well as for export.
Key technical features of STM8 microcontrollers:
- Proprietary CPU core with best-in-class performance
- High code efficiency enabling more sophisticated applications in smaller memory footprint
- 1.65V to 5.5V power-supply range covers many application types
- 2KB to 128KB on-chip Flash; up to 2KB data EEPROM
- Multiple package types from 20-pin to 80-pin, including LQFP, WLCSP, QFN20-48, SO-20, TSSOP-20
- High integration for cost-effective system design:
- ADC, DAC, multiple channels up to 12-bit
- Rich serial interfaces
- Multiple timers
- Display controllers up to 8 x 40 LCD
- Flexible, power-saving clock system
- Up to 68 high-current I/Os
ST is a global semiconductor leader delivering intelligent and energy-efficient products and solutions that power the electronics at the heart of everyday life. ST's products are found everywhere today, and together with our customers, we are enabling smarter driving and smarter factories, cities and homes, along with the next generation of mobile and Internet of Things devices.
By getting more from technology to get more from life, ST stands for life.augmented.
In 2015, the Company's net revenues were $6.90 billion, serving more than 100,000 customers worldwide. Further information can be found at www.st.com.
Director Technical Media Relations
+1 781 591 0354
STM8 MCU Sales past 2B Units http://hugin.info/152740/R/2000669/738090.pdf