ORLANDO, Fla., Feb. 10, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) --
CableLabs® Winter Conference
- New SOC family integrates up to 16 QAM demodulators while reducing power up to 50 percent
- Delivers Up to 1.2 GHz operation for seamless frequency agility in QAM/DOCSIS® 3.1 networks
- Integrated LNA and direct connect interfaces eliminates the need for expensive external components
- Enhanced real time RF spectrum analysis enables operators to remotely monitor and optimize cable plants
Broadcom Limited (NASDAQ:AVGO), a leading designer, developer and global supplier of a broad range of analog and digital semiconductor connectivity solutions, today announced a new family of 28 nanometer (nm) low power cable multichannel receiver system-on-chip (SoC) solutions. The BCM3158x family integrates Full-Band Capture (FBC) technology with 4, 8 or 16 QAM demodulators, providing pin compatible front ends for a broad range of hybrid cable/IP set-top box (STB) and home gateway platforms. For more news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom.
Delivering up to 1.2 GHz operation, Broadcom’s third-generation FBC devices provide seamless frequency agility for video services in hybrid QAM/DOCSIS® 3.1 networks. This allows operators to have complete spectrum flexibility to provide consumers with more High Definition (HD) and Ultra HD video service.
Broadcom’s industry leading low-power Full-Band Capture technology enables the lowest power per demodulated channel with as low as 75mW/channel power consumption. Broadcom’s innovative wake-on transport technology allows the main SOC to be placed into deep sleep mode while the BCM3158x monitors the frequency band on the cable input for operator messages. This allows the STB to remain in deep sleep mode while allowing for wake-up on demand by the operator for DVR recording, guide or software updates.
The enhanced real time radio frequency (RF) spectrum analysis and diagnostic capabilities of the BCM3158X Family enable operators to remotely monitor and optimize their cable plants. The devices add enhanced analysis functions and send diagnostic data to customer service portals via protocols such as TR-69, SNMP or HTML. This allows cable operators to remotely and non-intrusively monitor each device in their network and proactively address network issues, dramatically reducing truck rolls and support costs.
“By combining best-in-class Full-Band Capture capabilities with a dramatic reduction in power consumption, Broadcom continues to meet the evolving needs of cable operators around the globe,” said Rich Nelson, Broadcom Limited Senior Vice President & General Manager, Set-Top Box and Cable Modem Products Division. “Broadcom’s new BCM3158x family provides a cost-effective architecture built specifically for operators to deliver the enhanced video and streaming services consumers crave.”
BCM3158x Family Key Features and Benefits
- Full-Band Capture front end
- 1.2 GHz direct-sampling front end
- Integrated high performance LNA
- 4, 8 or 16 QAM 1024/256/128/64 demodulators
- SCTE-40+ performance up to 1.2 GHz
- MTSIF2.0 direct connect to Broadcom SOCs
- Direct connect to Broadcom’s DOCSIS2.0 companions eliminating the need for an external tuner
- 50 percent power reduction and wake on transport packet for ultra-low power standby operation
- Enhanced Data capture for RF spectrum analysis
- Reduced external components for lower cost system solutions
Broadcom’s BCM3158x Family including the BCM31584, BCM31588 and BCM31586 are now sampling.
1 As compared to previous generation 40nm devices
About Broadcom Limited
Broadcom Limited (NASDAQ:AVGO) is a leading designer, developer and global supplier of a broad range of analog and digital semiconductor connectivity solutions. Broadcom Limited’s extensive product portfolio serves four primary end markets: wired infrastructure, wireless communications, enterprise storage and industrial & other. Applications for our products in these end markets include: data center networking, home connectivity, broadband access, telecommunications equipment, smartphones and base stations, data center servers and storage, factory automation, power generation and alternative energy systems, and displays. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Press Contact: David Szabados Corporate Communications email@example.com Telephone: 1-408-433-7848