- Started shipments to the field of 32-bit Power Architecture technology microcontroller for the power-conversion unit in a hybrid vehicle;
- Made progress in radar-based ADAS applications, winning the next-generation platform at 24GHz for a global leader;
- Received award for chip set that includes smart-power actuators, analog signal processing, and a 32-bit microcontroller for an engine-management application that is compliant to the next-generation Chinese pollution regulation from a major Chinese tier 1;
- Began ramping production of Accordo car-radio-processor family for OEM and aftermarket applications with leading Chinese and Japanese car infotainment makers and received a major additional award with a leading Korean infotainment manufacturer.
Industrial and Power Discrete (IPD)
- Awarded socket for SLLIMM(TM)-nano modules in a new home appliance platform with a global market leader;
- Captured design wins for on-board chargers in electric vehicles from leading manufacturers with our power rectifiers & SCR products;
- Launched industry-first automotive high-side drivers that meet German car industry's toughest test schedule, making them ideal for vehicles with stop-start technology;
- Gained several design win for low-voltage MOSFETs for automotive door modules application with a European manufacturer;
- Earned win with a display power-management solution for a tablet platform by a major US market leader;
- Won socket for power-management IC from Kingston Technology in its enthusiast-class HyperX Savage solid-state drive (SSD);
- Maintained growth of ESD Protected Common Mode Filters and high-speed ESD protection within the smartphones, laptops, tablets, and IoT applications of numerous industry leaders;
- Gained design-wins for digital controllers for digital-power-supply applications from several Asian manufacturers;
- Unveiled 650V IGBTs that increase the efficiency of HVAC motor drives, Uninterruptible Power Supplies, solar power converters, and all power-conversion applications working up to 20kHz in hard-switching circuit topologies;
- Continued to gain traction in recently introduced power diodes housed in PowerFlat packages with a win from a European comms leader;
- Secured sockets for AMOLED converters for Samsung Galaxy smartphones;
- Brought to market electronically tunable capacitors for smartphones that optimize signal-power transfer between antenna and power amplifier to maximize mobile download speeds and call quality.
Use of Supplemental Non-U.S. GAAP Financial Information
This press release contains supplemental non-U.S. GAAP financial information, including operating income (loss) before impairment and restructuring charges, operating margin before impairment and restructuring charges, adjusted net earnings per share, free cash flow and net financial position.
Readers are cautioned that these measures are unaudited and not prepared in accordance with U.S. GAAP and should not be considered as a substitute for U.S. GAAP financial measures. In addition, such non-U.S. GAAP financial measures may not be comparable to similarly titled information by other companies.
See Attachment A of this press release for a reconciliation of the Company's non-U.S. GAAP financial measures to their corresponding U.S. GAAP financial measures. To compensate for these limitations, the supplemental non-U.S. GAAP financial information should not be read in isolation, but only in conjunction with the Company's consolidated financial statements prepared in accordance with U.S. GAAP.
Some of the statements contained in this release that are not historical facts are statements of future expectations and other forward-looking statements (within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 or Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, each as amended) that are based on management's current views and assumptions, and are conditioned upon and also involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results, performance, or events to differ materially from those anticipated by such statements, due to, among other factors:
·Uncertain macro-economic and industry trends;
·Customer demand and acceptance for the products which we design, manufacture and sell;
·Unanticipated events or circumstances, which may either impact our ability to execute the planned reductions in our net operating expenses and / or meet the objectives of our R&D Programs, which benefit from public funding;
·Financial difficulties with any of our major distributors or significant curtailment of purchases by key customers;
·The loading, product mix, and manufacturing performance of our production facilities;
·The functionalities and performance of our IT systems, which support our critical operational activities including manufacturing, finance and sales, and any breaches of our IT systems or those of our customers or suppliers;
·Variations in the foreign exchange markets and, more particularly, the U.S. dollar exchange rate as compared to the Euro and the other major currencies we use for our operations;
·The impact of intellectual property ("IP") claims by our competitors or other third parties, and our ability to obtain required licenses on reasonable terms and conditions;
·The ability to successfully restructure underperforming business lines and associated restructuring charges and cost savings that differ in amount or timing from our estimates;
·Changes in our overall tax position as a result of changes in tax laws, the outcome of tax audits or changes in international tax treaties which may impact our results of operations as well as our ability to accurately estimate tax credits, benefits, deductions and provisions and to realize deferred tax assets;
·The outcome of ongoing litigation as well as the impact of any new litigation to which we may become a defendant;
·Product liability or warranty claims or recalls by our customers for products containing our parts;
·Natural events such as severe weather, earthquakes, tsunamis, volcano eruptions or other acts of nature, health risks and epidemics in locations where we, our customers or our suppliers operate;
·Changes in economic, social, labor, political, or infrastructure conditions in the locations where we, our customers, or our suppliers operate, including as a result of macro-economic or regional events, military conflict, social unrest, labor actions, or terrorist activities;
·Availability and costs of raw materials, utilities, third-party manufacturing services, or other supplies required by our operations.
Such forward-looking statements are subject to various risks and uncertainties, which may cause actual results and performance of our business to differ materially and adversely from the forward-looking statements. Certain forward-looking statements can be identified by the use of forward looking terminology, such as "believes," "expects," "may," "are expected to," "should," "would be," "seeks" or "anticipates" or similar expressions or the negative thereof or other variations thereof or comparable terminology, or by discussions of strategy, plans or intentions.
Some of these risk factors are set forth and are discussed in more detail in "Item 3. Key Information - Risk Factors" included in our Annual Report on Form 20-F for the year ended December 31, 2014, as filed with the SEC on March 3, 2015. Should one or more of these risks or uncertainties materialize, or should underlying assumptions prove incorrect, actual results may vary materially from those described in this release as anticipated, believed, or expected. We do not intend, and do not assume any obligation, to update any industry information or forward-looking statements set forth in this release to reflect subsequent events or circumstances.
STMicroelectronics Conference Call and Webcast Information
On October 29, 2015, the management of STMicroelectronics will conduct a conference call to discuss the Company's operating performance for the third quarter of 2015.
The conference call will be held at 9:30 a.m. CET / 8:30 a.m. BST / 4:30 a.m. U.S. Eastern Time (ET) / 1:30 a.m. U.S. Pacific Time (PT). The conference call will be available live via the Internet by accessing http://investors.st.com. Those accessing the webcast should go to the Web site at least 15 minutes prior to the call, in order to register, download and install any necessary audio software. The webcast will be available until November 13, 2015.
ST is a global semiconductor leader delivering intelligent and energy-efficient products and solutions that power the electronics at the heart of everyday life. ST's products are found everywhere today, and together with our customers, we are enabling smarter driving and smarter factories, cities and homes, along with the next generation of mobile and Internet of Things devices. By getting more from technology to get more from life, ST stands for life.augmented.