Based on patented technology, new ISL95852 PMIC reduces board space by 50%, and new ISL95521 battery charger extends battery run-time
Sep 28, 2015 -- Intersil Corporation (NASDAQ: ISIL) has introduced its latest power saving solutions for 2-in-1s, ultrabooks and tablets: the ISL95852 highly integrated power management IC (PMIC) and the ISL95521 battery charger. Both devices meet Intel‘s IMVP8 specifications to support its new “Skylake” 6th Gen Intel Core processors. The ISL95852 and ISL95521 leverage Intersil’s patented R3™ modulation technology, which delivers best-in-class light load efficiency, superior regulation accuracy and fast dynamic response, resulting in better system power management and longer battery life.
The ISL95852 is the industry’s most integrated Vcore PMIC for IMVP8 platforms. Its 4mm x 4mm size and high switching frequency enable the use of small external inductors and capacitors to reduce board space by 50% compared to discrete solutions. The ISL95852 integrates control, MOSFET drivers, power MOSFETs and fault monitoring and protection for three synchronous buck switching regulators. The ISL95852’s programmable switching frequency is 2x faster than competitive solutions and is adjustable up to 1.3MHz during load transients.
The ISL95521 is the industry’s first Hybrid Power Boost (HPB) and Narrow VDC (NVDC) combination battery charger.
“Our customers’ latest mobile computing devices are coming to market powered by Intersil’s innovative solutions that enable thinner form factors and all day battery life,” said Andrew Cowell, senior vice president of Mobile Power Products at Intersil. “The ISL95852 PMIC and ISL95521 combo battery charger are part of a family of power management solutions behind the most efficient mobile devices on the market.”
Intersil’s total IMVP8-compliant power management solution, which also includes the ISL95908 peripheral PMIC, powers up the CPU/GPU, battery pack, and subsystem peripherals: flash memory, USB, HDMI, audio, sensors, camera module and WiFi.
Key Features and Specifications of ISL95852 PMIC
- Highly integrated power management IC for Intel IMVP8 CPUs
- Three high frequency integrated FET switching regulators produce core processor, graphics processor and system agent voltage rails
- Extensive fault protection for over-current, over-voltage, under-voltage, and over-temperature with alert signal
- I2C bus allows system fault monitoring, enable control, configurable GPIO and output voltage offset programming
- PROCHOT# and PSYS monitoring delivers system power information from AC adapter or ISL95521 battery charger to ISL95852 PMIC where it’s digitized and sent to CPU
Key Features and Specifications of ISL95521 Hybrid Battery Charger
- Pin configurable as HPB charger or NVDC charger enables AC adapter to provide system power in turbo mode
- Protection features include PROCHOT# and PSYS indicator for system low voltage, adapter over-current, battery over-current, system overheat, adapter/battery current limits
- SMBus programmable limit settings with adapter/battery current monitors and 1.2% high accuracy extends battery run-time
- NFETs actively control inrush current to prevent FET damage
- Prevents system crash and memory loss: the adapter instantly takes over the system load when battery pack is removed during turbo and learn mode
- 16 switching frequency options from 350kHz to 1MHz allows use of smaller, lower cost inductors
The ISL95852 PMIC is available now in a 4mm x 4mm, 64-bump WLCSP package and is priced at $6.99 USD in 1k quantities. The ISL95521 HPB/NVDC combo battery charger is available now in a 4mm x 4mm, 32-lead QFN package and priced at $2.49 USD in 1k quantities.
For more information on Intersil’s ISL95852 PMIC and ISL95521 HPB/NVDC combo battery charger, please visit www.intersil.com/pmic-charger-combo.