Qualcomm's second quarter fiscal 2015 earnings conference call will be broadcast live on April 22, 2015, beginning at 1:45 p.m. Pacific Time (PT) at http://investor.qualcomm.com/events.cfm. This conference call will include a discussion of "Non-GAAP financial measures" as defined in Regulation G. The most directly comparable GAAP financial measures and information reconciling these Non-GAAP financial measures to the Company's financial results prepared in accordance with GAAP, as well as other financial and statistical information to be discussed on the conference call, will be posted at www.qualcomm.com/investor immediately prior to commencement of the call. An audio replay will be available at http://investor.qualcomm.com/events.cfm and via telephone following the live call for 30 days thereafter. To listen to the replay via telephone, U.S. callers may dial (855) 859-2056 and international callers may dial (404) 537-3406. Callers should use reservation number 18876512.
Note Regarding Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures
The Non-GAAP financial information presented herein should be considered in addition to, not as a substitute for, or superior to, financial measures calculated in accordance with GAAP. In addition, "Non-GAAP" is not a term defined by GAAP, and as a result, the Company's measure of Non-GAAP results might be different than similarly titled measures used by other companies. Reconciliations between GAAP and Non-GAAP results are presented herein.
The Company uses Non-GAAP financial information (i) to evaluate, assess and benchmark the Company's operating results on a consistent and comparable basis; (ii) to measure the performance and efficiency of the Company's ongoing core operating businesses, including the QCT (Qualcomm CDMA Technologies) and QTL (Qualcomm Technology Licensing) segments; and (iii) to compare the performance and efficiency of these segments against each other and against competitors. Non-GAAP measurements used by the Company include revenues, cost of equipment and services revenues, R&D expenses, SG&A expenses, other expenses, operating income, net investment income, income or earnings before income taxes, effective tax rate, net income and diluted earnings per share. The Company is able to assess what it believes is a more meaningful and comparable set of financial performance measures for the Company and its business segments by using Non-GAAP information. As a result, management compensation decisions and the review of executive compensation by the Compensation Committee of the Board of Directors focus primarily on Non-GAAP financial measures applicable to the Company and its business segments. The Company presents Non-GAAP financial information to provide greater transparency to investors with respect to its use of such information in financial and operational decision-making.
Non-GAAP information used by management excludes QSI and certain share-based compensation, acquisition-related items, tax items and other items.
- QSI is excluded because the Company expects to exit its strategic investments in the foreseeable future, and the effects of fluctuations in the value of such investments and realized gains or losses are viewed by management as unrelated to the Company's operational performance.
- Share-based compensation expense primarily relates to restricted stock units. Non-cash share-based compensation is excluded because management views such expenses as unrelated to the operating activities of the Company's ongoing core businesses.
- Certain other items are excluded because management views such expenses as unrelated to the operating activities of the Company's ongoing core business, including:
- Acquisition-related items include amortization of certain intangible assets, recognition of the step-up of inventories to fair value and the related tax effects of these items starting with acquisitions completed in the third quarter of fiscal 2011, as well as any tax effects from restructuring the ownership of such acquired assets. Additionally, the Company excludes expenses related to the termination of contracts that limit the use of the acquired intellectual property. Starting in the first quarter of fiscal 2015, the Company excludes third-party acquisition and integration services costs. Prior year amounts have not been reclassified to conform to the current presentation.
- Starting in the first quarter of fiscal 2015, the Company excludes certain other items that management views as unrelated to the Company's ongoing business, such as major restructuring and restructuring-related costs, goodwill and long-lived asset impairments and litigation settlements and/or damages. Prior year amounts have not been reclassified to conform to the current presentation.
- Certain tax items that are unrelated to the fiscal year in which they are recorded are excluded in order to provide a clearer understanding of the Company's ongoing Non-GAAP tax rate and after tax earnings. Also, the provision (benefit) to reconcile the tax provisions (benefits) for each column to the total GAAP tax provision for the quarter is excluded. At fiscal year end, the quarterly tax provision (benefit) for each column equals the annual tax provision (benefit) for each column computed in accordance with GAAP. In interim quarters, the sum of these provisions (benefits) may not equal the total GAAP tax provision, and this difference is included in the tax provision (benefit) in the "Other Items" column. In interim quarters of prior fiscal years, this difference was allocated to the tax provisions (benefits) among the columns.
Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM) is a world leader in 3G, 4G and next-generation wireless technologies. Qualcomm Incorporated includes Qualcomm's licensing business, QTL, and the vast majority of its patent portfolio. Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated, operates, along with its subsidiaries, substantially all of Qualcomm's engineering, research and development functions, and substantially all of its products and services businesses, including its semiconductor business, QCT. For more than 25 years, Qualcomm ideas and inventions have driven the evolution of digital communications, linking people everywhere more closely to information, entertainment and each other. For more information, visit www.qualcomm.com.
Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
In addition to the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements that are inherently subject to risks and uncertainties, including but not limited to statements regarding: robust global demand for 3G/4G devices around the world, including in China; our licensing business being better positioned to participate in the rapidly accelerating adoption of our 3G/4G technology in China; our confidence in the significant growth opportunities ahead; our reduced QCT outlook for fiscal 2015 primarily due to the increased impact of customer share shifts within the premium tier and a decline in our share at a large customer; our initiation of a comprehensive review of our cost structure to identify opportunities to improve operating margins while extending our technology and product leadership positions; stock repurchases that we plan to complete during fiscal 2015 under our stock repurchase program and estimates of the amount, timing and benefits thereof; our commitment to return 75% of free cash flow to stockholders through stock repurchases and dividends; our belief that certain licensees in China are not fully complying with their contractual obligations to report their sales of licensed products to us, our expectation that it will take some time for licensees to decide whether to accept the new China terms or retain the terms of their existing agreements and for unlicensed companies that had delayed execution of new licenses pending resolution of the NDRC investigation to execute new licenses, and our belief that the conclusion of that investigation will accelerate the resolution of these issues although the outcome and timing of any resolutions are uncertain; our proposed acquisition of CSR plc, including the expected timing and financial impact of, and our ability to complete the acquisition; our business outlook; and our estimates and guidance related to revenues, GAAP and Non-GAAP diluted earnings per share, MSM chip shipments, total reported device sales, global 3G/4G device shipments and reported 3G/4G device shipments, 3G/4G average selling prices and effective income tax rates. Forward-looking statements are generally identified by words such as "estimates," "guidance," "expects," "anticipates," "intends," "plans," "believes," "seeks" and similar expressions. Actual results may differ materially from those referred to in the forward-looking statements due to a number of important factors, including but not limited to risks associated with commercial network deployments, expansions and upgrades of CDMA, OFDMA and other communications technologies, our customers' and licensees' sales of products and services based on these technologies and our ability to drive our customers' demand for our products and services; competition in an environment of rapid technological change; our dependence on a small number of customers and licensees; the continued and future success of our licensing programs; attacks on our licensing business model, including current and future legal proceedings or actions of governmental or quasi-governmental bodies or standards or industry organizations; the enforcement and protection of our intellectual property rights; government regulations and policies, or adverse rulings in enforcement or other proceedings; the commercial success of our new technologies, products and services; claims by third parties that we infringe their intellectual property; acquisitions (including the possibility that the CSR acquisition may not be completed timely, if at all), strategic transactions and investments; our dependence on a limited number of third-party suppliers; our stock price and earnings volatility; our indebtedness; our ability to attract and retain qualified employees; global economic conditions that impact the mobile communications industry; foreign currency fluctuations and failures in our products or services or in the products or services of our customers or licensees, including those resulting from security vulnerabilities, defects or errors. These and other risks are set forth in the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended September 28, 2014 and Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the second quarter ended March 29, 2015 filed with the SEC. Our reports filed with the SEC are available on our website at
www.qualcomm.com . We undertake no obligation to update, or continue to provide information with respect to, any forward-looking statement or risk factor, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.