The New Module Improves the Navigation Capabilities of Wearable Devices and Maximizes Performance, While Minimizing Power Consumption and Profile
AIRPORT CITY, Israel & CHICAGO — (BUSINESS WIRE) — September 3, 2014 — OriginGPS today announced the launch of the Nano Hornet, the world’s smallest fully integrated global antenna module.
OriginGPS Introduces the World's Smallest GPS Module with Integrated Antenna (Photo: Business Wire)
“Although there has never been more demand for location information, size and power constraints have limited innovation in the wearables space,” said Gal Jacobi, CEO of OriginGPS. “Developers want to add features to wearable devices without making them bulkier and less fashionable. The Nano Hornet breaks through both of these barriers, making it ideal for devices that require low profile components. We have pushed the boundaries of what’s possible and reduced the thickness of our already industry-leading Micro Hornet by nearly 35 percent. But wearables aren’t the only devices that will benefit – a wide range of Internet of Things devices will be able to utilize its best-in-class feature set.”
The Nano Hornet’s innovative architecture packs the most functionality and high-quality components in the smallest space by volume, to improve wearables’ fashion and function. It boasts several key features that will improve the navigation experience of wearables and other Internet of Things devices, including:
- Lower profile, higher performance – Despite its miniature outline of 10x10mm and record-breaking height of only 3.8mm, the Nano Hornet module offers superior sensitivity and outstanding performance, achieving rapid Time To First Fix (TTFF) of less than one second, accuracy within as little as two meters, and tracking sensitivity at an industry leading -163dBm.
- High sensitivity and noise immunity – The Nano Hornet continues to leverage the OriginGPS’ patented and proprietary Noise Free Zone NFZ™ technology to ensure high sensitivity and noise immunity even under marginal signal conditions.
- Reduced power consumption without compromising connectivity – It detects changes in context, temperature, and satellite signals, to achieve a state of near continuous availability. By opportunistically updating its internal fine time, frequency, and satellite ephemeris data, the Nano Hornet is able to stay connected while consuming mere microwatts of precious battery power.
- An intelligent design that shortens time to market – The Hornet family of GPS / GNSS antenna modules integrates GNSS receiver and patch antenna in a single module. As a cornerstone of the OriginGPS portfolio, it gives developers the ability to create new product offerings in the shortest time to market while minimizing costly design risks. Developers can simply connect it to a power source on a single layer PCB and be off and running.
Additionally, the Nano Hornet module combines OriginGPS’ proprietary low-profile GPS antenna with a dual-stage LNA, RF LDO, SAW filter, TCXO, RTC crystal and RF shield with market-leading SiRFstarIV™ GPS SoC.
- For more information on the Nano Hornet, click here.
- To find out where to buy OriginGPS’ GPS / GNSS solutions, click here.
- Follow OriginGPS on LinkedIn.
OriginGPS, Nano Hornet, GPS Antenna Module, Wearables, Wearable Technology, Internet of Things, GPS, GNSS, Navigation
OriginGPS is a world-leading designer, manufacturer and supplier of miniaturized GNSS modules (“Spider” family), antenna modules (“Hornet” family) and antenna solutions. OriginGPS introduces unparalleled sensitivity and noise immunity by incorporating its proprietary Noise Free Zone technology for faster position fix and navigation stability even under challenging satellite signal conditions.
James Gerber, +1 617-960-9875