"Global PON equipment revenue shot up 27% in the fourth quarter from the previous quarter, led by healthy increases in EPON and GPON shipments with 10G EPON growth expected to start in 2012 and increasing over 2013-2016," said Jeff Heynen, directing analyst for broadband access and video at Infonetics Research. "This growth requires chip and system vendors to supply operators with a diverse range of products, such as bridge to gateway ONUs and in the central office an upgrade pathway to high density solutions. Cortina is releasing products targeted at the sweet spot of the market growth."
"Cortina's new products accelerate service providers' ability to deliver innovative EPON/GPON deployments and migrate to 10G EPON with cost effective, low power solutions," said Rick Li, vice president at Cortina. "They are able to leverage the benefits of Cortina's broad high performance hardware and field proven software product portfolio to provide a superior end user experience."
CS8124: Quad 10G EPON OLT
The Cortina CS8124 10G EPON OLT is the industry's first quad 10G EPON OLT to address service providers' need for volume deployment of high density 10G EPON systems. With stringent power requirements and short time-to-market window for 10G EPON migration, systems vendors are looking for solutions optimized for 4-port OLT line-card designs. CS8124 market leading innovation integrates 4 ports of 10G EPON MACs, SerDes and IEEE P1904.1 SIEPON-compliant power saving engine into a low-power, cost-effective device. The CS8124 also features an advanced traffic management core, based on the field-proven Cortina CS8022 1G EPON OLT, which allows a seamless connection to the backplane without expensive external switches or network processors. With the CS8124 SDK and reference designs, system vendors can go to market quickly with the CS8124-based line-card designs.
- Four Symmetric and Asymmetric 10G EPON OLT ports
- Optimized for power and cost for 4-port and 8-port line-card designs
- Integrated traffic management with full L2 switch and VLAN processing
- Eliminates the need for expensive and power-hungry external switch or network processor
- Support for DPoE specifications, featuring 2048 LLIDs per PON port
- Offers North America MSOs migrating to EPON technology flexibility in their deployment
- Support for IEEE1588v2, IEEE802.1AS, and 1PPS+ToD timing synchronization
- Enables wireless mobile backhaul in 4G LTE networks
CS8160: 10G EPON ONU
The Cortina CS8160 10G EPON ONU, together with the CS8124, provides system vendors a complete end-to-end 10G EPON solution. Its best in class architecture features XAUI and four SGMII ports for cost-effective flexible MDU configurations. With an integrated traffic management engine supporting up to 256 subscribers, the CS8160 also gives network operators maximum control in managing and provisioning traffic from their customers. Coupled with the CS8124, the CS8160 supports SIEPON-compliant sleep modes, significantly reducing the power load on the network.
- 10G EPON ONU supporting 2048 queues and 256 subscribers
- Optimized for MDU deployment
- Compliant to DPoE specifications, including multiple LLIDs
- Support for North America MSOs migrating to EPON technology
- Support for IEEE1588v2, IEEE802.1AS and 1PPS+ToD timing synchronization
- Enables wireless mobile backhaul in 4G LTE networks
CS8232: Dual Mode EPON/GPON ONU
The Cortina CS8232 Dual Mode EPON/GPON ONU single chip industry leading flexible architecture allows it to be configured as a full feature home gateway ONU or a cost effective bridging ONU enabling system vendors to maximize their resources by designing one solution for the entire market. The Cortina CS8232 Dual Mode EPON/GPON ONU can be optimized for operating cost savings with power saving and OAM (operation, administration, and maintenance) features. The CS8232 lowers service provider operating cost with remote diagnostic capabilities.
- Cortina Packet Express Architecture (embedded high performance CPU, proprietary DMA with prioritized channel access and packet buffer management)
- Allows pipelined packet processing and maximizes throughput
- Advanced OAM support includes IEEE802.1ag and Y.1731 CFM support
- CFM helps service provider in reducing operation and maintenance cost
- Integrated Power saving modes: IEEE802.3az EEE, IEEE1904.1 SIEPON, and G.supp45
- Power saving on network as well as user side allows the service provider to save power and operating cost throughout the network
"Working closely with service providers, Cortina ensures network compliance and faster time to market through extensive interoperability and compliance testing," commented Rick Li. "With these additions, Cortina's broad product offering (SFU/MDU/HGU, EPON/GPON, 10G EPON) facilitates the next phase of PON deployment worldwide."
About Cortina Systems
Cortina Systems, Inc. is a leading provider of high-performance communications semiconductor solutions enabling next generation network connectivity and efficient bandwidth delivery from the core network to the home network. Our broad product portfolio includes carrier-class semiconductor devices for next generation optical transport and passive optical network systems, as well as data center connectivity and digital home solutions.
For more information, please visit www.cortina-systems.com
Contacts: Barbara Kolbl Cortina Systems, Inc. 916-293-0787 Cell: 408-594-9744 Email Contact