PC Industry Exudes Confidence in InConcert(R) Single Stream 11n + Bluetooth 3.0 + High Speed ModuleTAIPEI, Taiwan, June 1 — (PRNewswire) — 30th Annual COMPUTEX -- Broadcom Corporation (Nasdaq: BRCM), a global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications, today announced that its InConcert® combo module has been selected by five of the top ten PC original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), including ASUS and Samsung, to provide Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity in a wide array of new notebook and netbook computers. Broadcom's innovative InConcert combo module (BCM94313HMGBEPA), comprised of the BCM4313 (single-stream 802.11n) and BCM2070 (Bluetooth 3.0 +HS), delivers unparalleled co-existence performance, making it the module of choice for mobile computing platforms.
Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are critical to the notebook and netbook consumer experience. While Wi-Fi ships in nearly 100 percent of mobile computers today, Bluetooth is estimated to be in over 90 percent of these platforms by 2014 according to ABI Research. The mutual radio interference caused by the co-location of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi and form-factor constraints in smaller mobile computers are driving the trend toward converged integration of these key wireless technologies. As an industry leader in both the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth markets and with a state-of-the-art portfolio of InConcert combo products, Broadcom is well positioned to drive the integration trend.
- The InConcert combo module provides OEMs with:
- Single-stream 802.11n Wi-Fi connectivity, featuring superior throughput, performance and range
- Bluetooth 2.1 and 3.0 + HS (High Speed) with support for various co-existence use cases such as simultaneous Bluetooth mouse, stereo audio and file transfer operations
- Broadcom Bluetooth profile pack software with support for the industry's richest portfolio of profiles, enabling Bluetooth to be used by consumers for stereo music streaming and other functions
- Broadcom Wi-Fi OneDriver™ with support for Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP and Linux
- InConcert enhanced co-existence technology, suitable for platforms with varying sizes and form factors
- InConcert combo modules, together with InConcert co-existence technology, provide an unparalleled wireless user experience for browsing the Internet, gaming, listening to audio or using a wireless mouse/keyboard.
- InConcert co-existence technology mitigates interference between Wi-Fi and Bluetooth when they are operating at the same time, providing these additional benefits:
- Optimization for Wi-Fi connectivity, particularly for 802.11n rates.
- Significant improvement in Wi-Fi throughput when simultaneously listening to audio over Bluetooth
- Minimal to no impact on Wi-Fi throughput when operating a Bluetooth mouse
- High Wi-Fi throughput while ensuring that the Bluetooth mouse and headset can work at the same time
- Click here for more product information on the InConcert Combo Module.
S.Y. Chian, Corporate Vice President & General Manager of Notebook BU, ASUS
"Since the debut of eeePCs, ASUS has continued to explore various sources of technology with the goal of enhancing wireless Internet and entertainment on the go. Broadcom's wireless technologies, designed to coexist and operate collaboratively with one another, enable ASUS to address our customers' desire for a light, portable and connected entertainment device. Besides, Broadcom's Bluetooth 3.0 High Speed solutions enable us to offer state-of-the-art technology to the consumer."
Ajit Deosthali, Research Manager for Memory, Short Range Wireless and Consumer Electronics Semiconductors, IDC
"While WLAN is now ubiquitous for wireless data connectivity, Bluetooth is becoming increasingly important with Notebooks and Netbooks to provide wireless voice connectivity for VoIP applications and to connect Bluetooth enabled peripherals. Increasingly the trend is towards providing a combo module with WLAN and Bluetooth in a mini half card Form Factor to overcome space constraints on the mobile platforms and to guarantee better radio coexistence."
Robert Rango, Executive Vice President & General Manager, Broadcom's Wireless Connectivity Group
"Broadcom has an unprecedented focus on productizing technology that enhances the user experience, ultimately making ease-of-use a norm for wireless connectivity in leading PC platforms. Our InConcert module brings best-in-class Bluetooth and 802.11n Wi-Fi onto a Half MiniCard, overcoming the form-factor constraints of these smaller mobile computers. Broadcom's thrust on consumer experience has led to innovative products that intelligently manage Bluetooth and Wi-Fi performance to enhance usability of both technologies operating in tandem".
Subscribe to RSS Feed:
Other Supporting Resources:
Broadcom Corporation is a major technology innovator and global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom products enable the delivery of voice, video, data and multimedia to and throughout the home, the office and the mobile environment. We provide the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and software solutions to manufacturers of computing and networking equipment, digital entertainment and broadband access products, and mobile devices. These solutions support our core mission: Connecting everything®.
Broadcom, one of the world's largest fabless communications semiconductor companies, with 2009 revenue of $4.49 billion, holds more than 4,050 U.S. and 1,650 foreign patents, and has more than 7,900 additional pending patent applications, and one of the broadest intellectual property portfolios addressing both wired and wireless transmission of voice, video, data and multimedia.
A FORTUNE 500® company, Broadcom is headquartered in Irvine, Calif., and has offices and research facilities in North America, Asia and Europe. Broadcom may be contacted at +1.949.926.5000 or at www.broadcom.com.
Cautions regarding Forward-Looking Statements:
All statements included or incorporated by reference in this release, other than statements or characterizations of historical fact, are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on our current expectations, estimates and projections about our industry and business, management's beliefs, and certain assumptions made by us, all of which are subject to change. Forward-looking statements can often be identified by words such as "anticipates," "expects," "intends," "plans," "predicts," "believes," "seeks," "estimates," "may," "will," "should," "would," "could," "potential," "continue," "ongoing," similar expressions, and variations or negatives of these words. Examples of such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, references to the demand for Bluetooth and Wi-Fi co-existence technology and our position in that segment. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future results and are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions that could cause our actual results to differ materially and adversely from those expressed in any forward-looking statement.
Important factors that may cause such a difference for Broadcom in connection with the Broadcom InConcert technology include, but are not limited to:
- general economic and political conditions and specific conditions in the markets we address, including the continuing volatility in the technology sector and semiconductor industry, current global economic recession, trends in the broadband communications markets in various geographic regions, including seasonality in sales of consumer electronic products into which our products are incorporated;
- the timing, rescheduling or cancellation of significant customer orders and our ability, as well as the ability of our customers, to manage inventory;
- our ability to specify, develop or acquire, complete, introduce, market and transition to volume production new products and technologies in a cost-effective and timely manner; and
- the rate at which our present and future customers and end-users adopt Broadcom's technologies and products in our target markets
Additional factors that may cause Broadcom's actual results to differ materially from those expressed in forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to the list that can be found at http://www.broadcom.com/press/additional_risk_factors/Q22010.php.
Our Annual Report on Form 10-K, subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, recent Current Reports on Form 8-K, and other Securities and Exchange Commission filings discuss the foregoing risks as well as other important risk factors that could contribute to such differences or otherwise affect our business, results of operations and financial condition. The forward-looking statements in this release speak only as of this date. We undertake no obligation to revise or update publicly any forward-looking statement, except as required by law.