Broadcom to Provide Leading-Edge Video Playback on Select 2010 Netbook Platforms from Leading OEMsIRVINE, Calif., Dec. 21 — (PRNewswire) — Broadcom Corporation (Nasdaq: BRCM), a global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications, today announced that its Crystal HD technology will be available to OEMs wanting to deliver best-in-class video playback on the new Intel® Atom™ processor platform for netbooks. The Broadcom® BCM70015 Crystal HD solution will be offered as an option for OEMs designing netbooks using the Intel Atom processor N450 and Intel NM10 Express chipset platform. Crystal HD technology provides netbook users with a rich multimedia experience by enabling cost effective, quality playback of multi-format, high definition (HD) video and will be featured on select 2010 netbook platforms from top-tier OEMs including Asus, Dell and Samsung.
- Broadcom Crystal HD technology (based on the Broadcom BCM70015 single-chip HD video decoder) will be offered as an option for OEMs designing netbooks based on the new Intel Atom processor platform.
- The BCM70015 Crystal HD chip provides manufacturers with a low power, low cost solution that addresses one of the key performance challenges of netbook platforms: cost effective and quality playback of streaming HD video.
- Broadcom Crystal HD technology leverages the company's widely deployed and field proven HD set-top box and consumer media player technologies to provide high quality video playback of multi-format (H.264/AVC, MPEG-2, VC-1, WMV9, MPEG-4, DivX®, Xvid and AVS) standard and high definition content for netbooks, enabling users to enjoy a mobile media experience with no frame drops or jitter. Broadcom Crystal HD technology:
- Provides one of the industry's best low power, HD video playback experiences on low cost netbooks.
- Provides software support for Adobe® Flash® Player (v10.1), Windows Media® Player (v12), as well as support for other third-party media players including both commercial and open source.
- The Intel Atom processor N450, Intel NM10 Express chipset (formerly known as Pine Trail) is the next generation processor platform for netbooks and the entry-level desktop segment. This new two-chip platform integrates graphics and a memory controller onto the CPU, enabling lower power consumption, improved performance, and smaller, more compact designs in next generation netbooks and entry-level desktop PCs.
Dan Eiref, Vice President & General Manager, Broadcom's Consumer Electronics Line of Business
"We recognize that OEMs have the desire to offer HD video playback on netbooks, and are pleased that Intel has validated Broadcom as an HD solution provider for the Intel® Atom™ platform for netbooks. Our Crystal HD technology provides high quality video playback within a low power, low cost solution that will enhance the consumer netbook experience in 2010."
Subscribe to RSS Feed: Broadcom Broadband Communications Group
Other Supporting Resources:
Broadcom Corporation is a major technology innovator and global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom products enable the delivery of voice, video, data and multimedia to and throughout the home, the office and the mobile environment. We provide the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and software solutions to manufacturers of computing and networking equipment, digital entertainment and broadband access products, and mobile devices. These solutions support our core mission: Connecting everything®.
Broadcom is one of the world's largest fabless semiconductor companies, with 2008 revenue of $4.66 billion, and holds over 3,650 U.S. and over 1,450 foreign patents, more than 7,750 additional pending patent applications, and one of the broadest intellectual property portfolios addressing both wired and wireless transmission of voice, video, data and multimedia.
A FORTUNE 500® company, Broadcom is headquartered in Irvine, Calif., and has offices and research facilities in North America, Asia and Europe. Broadcom may be contacted at +1.949.926.5000 or at www.broadcom.com.
Cautions regarding Forward Looking Statements:
All statements included or incorporated by reference in this release, other than statements or characterizations of historical fact, are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on our current expectations, estimates and projections about our industry and business, management's beliefs, and certain assumptions made by us, all of which are subject to change. Forward-looking statements can often be identified by words such as "anticipates," "expects," "intends," "plans," "predicts," "believes," "seeks," "estimates," "may," "will," "should," "would," "could," "potential," "continue," "ongoing," similar expressions, and variations or negatives of these words. Examples of such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, the quality of video playback enabled by Broadcom's Crystal HD technology and references to the consumer netbook experience. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future results and are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions that could cause our actual results to differ materially and adversely from those expressed in any forward-looking statement.
Important factors that may cause such a difference for Broadcom in connection with the BCM70015 Crystal HD SoC solution, but are not limited to:
- The rate at which our present and future customers and end-users adopt Broadcom's technologies and products in the markets;
- The timing, rescheduling or cancellation of significant customer orders and our ability, as well as the ability of our customers, to manage inventory;
- The gain or loss of a key customer, design win or order;
- Trends in the netbook markets in various geographic regions, including seasonality in sales of consumer products into which our products are incorporated, and
- General economic and political conditions and specific conditions in the markets we address, including the volatility in the technology sector and semiconductor industry.
Additional factors that may cause Broadcom's actual results to differ materially from those expressed in forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to the list that can be found at http://www.broadcom.com/press/additional_risk_factors/Q42009.php.
Our Annual Report on Form 10-K, subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, recent Current Reports on Form 8-K, and other Securities and Exchange Commission filings discuss the foregoing risks as well as other important risk factors that could contribute to such differences or otherwise affect our business, results of operations and financial condition. The forward-looking statements in this release speak only as of this date. We undertake no obligation to revise or update publicly any forward-looking statement, except as required by law.
Broadcom, the pulse logo, Connecting everything, and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
Heather A. Roberts
T. Peter Andrew
Media Relations Manager
Vice President, Corporate Communications