New Devices Offer Unmatched Flexibility in Combining Densities for Variety of Applications
SAN JOSE, Calif. & TAICHUNG, Taiwan — (BUSINESS WIRE) — March 24, 2016 — Winbond Electronics Corporation, a leading global supplier of semiconductor memory solutions, today announced a dramatic expansion of its flash product portfolio with the introduction of a family of stackable SpiFlash® memories. The new SpiStack® W25M Series is Winbond’s first to allow the “stacking” of homogeneous or heterogeneous flash, thus achieving memories of varying densities for code and/or data storage, while providing designers with the flash solutions most appropriate for their design requirements.
The W25M Series provides a wide range of densities in the well-established 8-pin package to which designers are accustomed. Additionally, W25M memories feature the popular, multi-IO SpiFlash interface and command set.
“Stacking memories, both homogeneously and heterogeneously, is a revolutionary method of creating optimal memory solutions,” said Mike Chen, director of technical marketing at Winbond Electronics Corporation America. “Winbond developed the SpiStack architecture to give designers maximum flexibility in tailoring flash solutions to meet their specific memory-density and -application requirements.”
SpiStack homogeneous memories are achieved by stacking SpiFlash dies – for example, two 256Mb dies combining to form a single SpiFlash 512Mb NOR memory -- in the industry-standard 8-pin 8x6mm WSON package. This stacked product, W25M512JV, is also available in the widely used 16-pin SOIC or 24-pad BGA packages and is sampling now. SpiStack heterogeneous memories call for the stacking of a NOR memory with a NAND die, such as a 64Mb SpiFlash NOR blended with a 1Gb Serial NAND die, which gives designers the flexibility to store code in the NOR die and data in the NAND memory.
- Multiple SpiFlash dies, each with density ranging from 16Mb to 2Gb, can be stacked with any combination of NOR and NAND dies.
- Each die can be used according to its specifically beneficial characteristics. A NOR die can be used to store the boot code, thanks to its cell characteristics that deliver better endurance and retention, and fast random access time. A NAND memory can be used to store data and/or to back up the boot code.
- A NAND die can also be used to upload the working memory data quickly whenever the system power goes down, thanks to its programming time that’s much faster than NOR. It improves the system quality by storing up-to-date code residing in the working memory for later usage.
- SpiStack supports concurrent operation so that code execution is not interrupted for data updates.
- All SpiStack features are supported in an 8-pin package along with the standard QSPI command, so that backward compatibility is conserved. This is done with the addition of a simple software die select instruction (C2h) and a factory-assigned die ID number. The dies are stacked based on Winbond’s unique stacking process technology.
To ensure satisfying the growing global demand for high-volume solutions, Winbond SpiFlash memories are manufactured in the company’s 12-inch wafer fabrication facility in Taichung, Taiwan.
Winbond SpiStack flash memory solutions are sampling now and being designed-in, and will be available in volume production starting 2Q’2016. For specific combination of densities required and for pricing on these products, please contact Winbond at SalesSupport@winbond.com.
Winbond Electronics Corporation is a leading global supplier of semiconductor memory solutions, headquartered in Taichung, Taiwan. Winbond’s major products include Specialty DRAM, Mobile DRAM, and Code Storage Flash Memory with Winbond’s memory business revenues in 2015 close to US$1 billion. Winbond has approximately 2,400 employees worldwide, with offices in Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Japan, Israel, and the USA. For more information, please visit: www.winbond.com.
SpiFlash and SpiStack are registered trademarks of Winbond Electronics Corporation. All other product names that appear in this material are for identification purposes only and are acknowledged trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
Winbond Electronics Corp. America
Krishna Shekar, 1-408-474-1610
Senior Director of Flash Memory Marketing
Editorial contact for Winbond SpiFlash Memories
Jerry Steach, 1-415-222-9996
Jenny Chen, 886-3-5678168 #76333
Sales Promotion Department
Jessica Huang, 886-3-5678168
Finance Center Vice President