CAMBRIDGE, England — (BUSINESS WIRE) — January 20, 2016 — ARM has launched its highest performing and most power-efficient 4K-capable display processor to offer cost-effective, highly efficient and superior viewing experiences. The ARM® Mali™-DP650 display processor aims to drive new visual content and gaming experiences on mobile devices and act as a content passport for users as they move from a smaller mobile screen to a larger screen, such as a 4K smart television.
“The Mali-DP650 display processor will enable mobile screens with multiple composition layers, for graphics and video, at Full HD (1920x1080 pixels) resolutions and beyond while maintaining excellent picture quality and extending battery life,” said Mark Dickinson, general manager, media processing group, ARM. “Smartphones and tablets are increasingly becoming content passports, allowing people to securely download content once and carry it to view on whichever screen is most suitable. The ability to stream the best quality content from a mobile device to any screen is an important capability ARM Mali display technology delivers.”
Mali-DP650 supports a diverse range of display resolutions. It is optimized for 2.5K formats including WQXGA (2560x1600 pixels) for tablets and WQHD (2560x1440 pixels) for a mobile screen. The ability to stream 4K (3840x2160 pixels) content from a mobile device to larger screens is also making the production of higher quality visual materials more cost-effective as viewers can get access wherever they are.
“The mobile market is transitioning quickly toward high resolution products beyond Full HD, with 2.5K the most popular choice now and 4K a priority target,” said Lingyun Shi, director of research, BOE Technology Group Co Ltd, one of the world’s leading suppliers of semiconductor display technologies, products and services. “BOE and ARM have formed a valuable partnership to ensure each other’s complementing display products are future-proofed. The ARM Mali-DP650 display processor caters to this as it is optimized for 2.5K but is also 4K capable, and by using split display mode to double the available pixel data rate along with a variable refresh it enables higher resolutions in a highly energy-efficient way.”
Additional Mali-DP650 in detail:
- Mali-DP650 supports an array of advanced features including up to seven display layer composition, rotation, high-quality scaling and energy-efficient technologies such as ARM Frame Buffer Compression (AFBC) within a very small silicon area
- By doubling the size of AXI bus to 128-bit and providing a MMU pre-fetcher solution, Mali-DP650 can support more 4K composition layers and offers higher memory system latency tolerance than the Mali-DP550 display processor
- Mali-DP650 is designed to efficiently connect to ARM’s System MMU (ARM CoreLink™ MMU-500) enabling systems to achieve up to 4K at 60fps display resolutions
- The split-display mode feature enables MIPI D-PHY solutions to deliver resolutions beyond 1080p to mobile panels and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) support allows for panel power saving, further extending the battery life
- Mali-DP650 is delivered with software support for the latest version of AndroidTM optimized to work alongside the Mali-GPU and Mali-Video drivers.
ARM (LSE:ARM, NASDAQ:ARMH.US) designs technology at the heart of the world's most advanced digital products. We are enabling the development of new markets and transformation of industries and society, invisibly creating opportunity for a globally connected population. Our scalable, energy-efficient processor designs and related technologies deliver intelligence wherever computing happens, ranging from sensors to servers, including smartphones, tablets, digital TVs, enterprise infrastructure and the Internet of Things.
Our innovative technology is licensed by ARM Partners who have shipped more than 75 billion System on Chip (SoCs) containing our intellectual property. Together with our Connected Community, we are breaking down barriers to innovation for developers, designers and engineers, ensuring a fast, reliable route to market for leading electronics companies. Learn more and join the conversation at http://community.arm.com.
All information is provided “as is” and without warranty or representation. This document may be shared freely, attributed and unmodified. ARM, CoreLink and Mali are trademarks or registered trademarks of ARM Limited (or its subsidiaries). All other brands or product names are the property of their respective holders. © 1995-2016 ARM Group.
Director of Product PR