DLP technology combines speed and performance for accurate, razor sharp, 4K UHD projection displaysDALLAS, Jan. 6, 2016 — (PRNewswire) — Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today announced its 0.67-inch 4K UHD chip for home theater, business and education projection displays. Based on proven DLP Cinema® technology, the imaging choice for more than eight of 10 digital theatre screens worldwide, the DLP 4K UHD chipset combines the fast switching speed of the digital micromirror device (DMD) with advanced image processing. This latest DLP Products offering in a single-chip projector architecture enables high resolution and high brightness solutions at a price point that allows manufacturers to expand 4K UHD projection displays to a broad audience. For more information, visit www.ti.com/DLP4KUHD.
The DLP 4K UHD solution uses the fast speed of the chip with advanced image processing to deliver more than 8 million pixels to the screen with just 4 million mirrors. Each mirror is capable of switching over 9,000 times per second, creating two distinct and unique pixels on the screen during every frame to deliver full 4K UHD resolution.
Key features and benefits of the DLP 4K UHD solution
- High performance 4K UHD imager: The fast switching speed of the DMD enables each mirror to display two distinct and unique pixels on the screen during every frame, reducing blur and delivering full resolution. The inherent one-chip DLP system alignment enables the color integrity of the content to be maintained without blurriness between colors.
- Affordable 4K UHD: With a small, 0.67-inch DMD that is similar in size to the DLP 0.65-inch 1080p chip, customers can have access to more affordable 4K UHD solutions in settings ranging from the home theater to the boardroom to the classroom.
- Powerful ANSI contrast: DLP technology's high ANSI contrast brings out the fine details in 4K UHD content to offer a stunning viewing experience.
- Advanced image processing: DLP Products' proprietary algorithms deliver sharp, high quality images with crisp and clear fine lines and details.
- A flexible solution: The DLP chip can be used with multiple light sources including lamps, LEDs, and laser phosphor, giving manufacturers the flexibility to create a unique solution for a variety of applications.
"4K UHD comes to life when all of the details in the content are accurately displayed," said Dave Duncan, DLP Products business manager, Texas Instruments. "By giving customers the ability to incorporate a 4K UHD display chip that's roughly the same size as our 1080p chip, this new solution from TI DLP Products can be a game changer for the industry."
"TI's versatile 4K UHD chipset gives us the capability of developing high quality 4K UHD products for a variety of applications. With this product, more people will be able to enjoy 4K UHD projection systems," said Robert Sterzing, president, Optoma Technology.
The DLP 4K UHD chip solution will be available in spring 2016. For more information, or to sign up for notification when the chip becomes available, visit www.ti.com/DLP4KUHD.
Find out more
- Visit the overview page to learn more about the features and benefits of the DLP 4K UHD solution.
- Watch a video on the DLP 4K UHD solution.
About Texas Instruments DLP Products
Since 1996, award-winning TI DLP technology has powered the world's top display devices to deliver high-resolution images rich with color, contrast, clarity and brightness for a wide range of applications, including industrial, automotive, medical and consumer market segments. DLP technology is being used in movie theatres (DLP Cinema® products) and large-scale, professional venues and conference rooms, classrooms and home theaters. With mobile devices enabled by DLP® Pico™ technology, users have the ability to display images from the palm of their hand. Every DLP chipset features an array of microscopic mirrors that switch on and off up to 10,000 times per second. To learn more, please visit www.ti.com/dlp or follow TI DLP technology on Twitter at @TI_DLP.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog integrated circuits (ICs) and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
DLP and DLP Cinema are registered trademarks. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ti-unveils-dlp-067-inch-4k-ultra-high-definition-uhd-chip-enabling-more-affordable-large-screen-projection-displays-for-home-business-and-education-300199917.html
SOURCE Texas Instruments
Gina Park, Texas Instruments, 214.567.7684
Email Contact Jennifer Kepler, Golin, 972.341.2552
Email Contact (Please do not publish these numbers or e-mail addresses.)