DOCSIS-Compatible Offering Ready for Residential DeploymentsKEYSTONE, Colo., Aug. 4, 2015 — (PRNewswire) — CableLabs Summer Conference
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced a DOCSIS-compatible 10G Ethernet Passive Optical Network (EPON) residential gateway reference design. Broadcom's new platform allows cable Multiple System Operators (MSOs) to provide multi-Gigabit speeds for home subscribers' Video-on-Demand (VOD), HD IPTV, Voice over IP (VoIP) and high-speed Internet via a Fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) solution. For more news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom.
The new gateway platform combines Broadcom's BCM55030, a 10G/10G EPON Optical Network Unit (ONU) system-on-a-chip (SoC), with the widely deployed BCM33843 DOCSIS 3.0 cable gateway device. Broadcom's new integrated gateway complements traditional technologies, enabling MSOs to quickly provide multi-Gigabit speeds to their subscribers without expensive upgrades to current infrastructure.
Broadcom's 10G EPON gateway adheres to the preliminary CableLabs DPoE 2.0 specification, which allows the PON gateway to look and function like a traditional DOCSIS gateway. Built-in 10G symmetric EPON WAN technology supports multi-Gigabit speeds, allowing multiple FTTH subscribers to achieve 1G symmetric performance simultaneously on a single PON.
"Operators are looking for the fastest and most efficient means to provide subscribers with true Gigabit internet speeds," said Jim McKeon, Senior Director of Product Marketing, Broadcom. "Our new residential gateway design enables cable MSOs to bridge a fiber network into their existing DOCSIS infrastructure without costly network re-design."
Key Features of the BCM55030
- Delivers the industry's highest EPON ONU integration, including a 10 Gbps media access controller, 10 Gbps EPON serializers/deserializers and forward error correction, a four-port Gigabit Ethernet switch, traffic management, and on-chip memory for both CPU and packet buffers resulting in no external memory components
- Complies with the IEEE 802.3av 10G EPON standard including support for 10G/10G, 10G/1G and legacy 1G/1G EPON
- Supports Broadcom's 2.5G TURBO-EPON® in addition to both standard 1G and 10G modes
Key Features of the BCM33843
- Delivers 16 downstream channels supporting DOCSIS and/or video and four upstream channels
- Dedicated DOCSIS CPU supporting double the memory of prior generations, a dedicated multi-threaded applications processor with an over 400 percent increase in CPU power, and multiple hardware offload engines
- Full-Band Capture (FBC) digital tuning technology and remote diagnostics
- Digital tuning with advanced signal processing techniques
- Supports DOCSIS and digital video on any frequency, eliminating limitations of block tuners
Broadcom's new 10G EPON residential gateway solution is currently available from multiple manufacturers and will be demonstrated at the CableLabs Summer Conference 2015 in Keystone, Colorado.
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With one of the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, the Connecting everything logo and TURBO-EPON® are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
Isa Loundon Flaherty
T. Peter Andrew
Vice President, Treasury & Investor Relations
Director, Investor Relations
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/broadcom-delivers-first-10g-epon-residential-gateway-for-cable-msos-300122815.html
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Broadband & Cable
BRCM Broadband & Cable