IoT Starter Kit To Use Atmel®/ SMART Xplained board and kitLINCOLNSHIRE, Ill., May 14, 2015 — (PRNewswire) — Zebra Technologies Corporation (NASDAQ: ZBRA), a global leader in products and solutions that provide real-time visibility into organizations' assets, people and transactions, has collaborated with ARM, the world's leading semiconductor intellectual property (IP) supplier, to develop an ARM® mbed™ IoT Starter Kit for Zatar. The IoT Starter Kit powered by Atmel's Xplained board will enable simple, standards-based cloud connectivity for creating next generation Internet-aware, enterprise products integrated with the Zatar IoT cloud platform. A prototype of the IoT Starter Kit will be displayed at the Zebra booth at the 2015 Maker Faire event May 16-17, 2015 in San Mateo, California where developers and product designers can register for early access.
- As enterprises are committing to large Internet of Things (IoT) initiatives, they need to have a simple, inexpensive, standards-based artifact to begin development. The ARM mbed IoT Starter Kit for Zatar is a ready-made, standards-based reference design to rapidly spur applications such as enterprise asset management as well as build and release next generation products to production.
- The kit will leverage the ARM mbed IoT Device Platform, including mbed OS, and provide a full stack including Wi-Fi connectivity, security and enterprise-grade cloud integration for product developers to use.
- ARM mbed is a key initiative for ARM and is being rapidly adopted by the embedded ecosystem to create and build standards-based IoT products. As an mbed Partner, Zebra manufactures devices, and its Zatar IoT platform uses licensed ARM technologies.
- The ARM mbed IoT Starter Kit for Zatar will enable anyone creating enterprise IoT products to reduce development time and decrease expenses, with the standards-based reference design that integrates into Zatar.
- The IoT Starter Kit will use the Atmel SAM W25 Xplained PRO prototyping and evaluation platform consisting of a pre-configured Atmel | SMART ARM microcontroller development board - featuring ARM Cortex® processors, a fully integrated Wi-Fi Network Controller and an expansion port to a collection of add-on boards for functionalities such as sensors and user I/O interfaces.
Zach Shelby, vice president, Marketing for IoT Business, ARM
"The ability to get to market quickly is an increasingly critical design factor as the IoT opens up a world of new possibilities. Developers want to capitalize on opportunities as fast as possible while maintaining engineering quality, and that necessitates the need for easy-to-use secure connectivity to cloud kits such as the new ARM mbed IoT Starter Kit for Zatar. The kit will simplify enterprise IoT device and service creation through mbed OS and Zatar, accelerating solutions by utilizing a complete reference design and open standards."
Steve Pancoast, vice president, Software Applications, Tools and Development, Atmel Corporation
"This WiFi-based IoT platform kit is a great example of a system-level, edge-node solution that simplifies the complexities associated with cloud connectivity and provides IoT product developers an easy-to-use development platform that supports a wide range of IoT devices and security requirements. We are pleased to team up with Zebra and ARM to enable more designers to quickly bring their IoT products to market."
Phil Gerskovich, senior vice president, New Growth Platforms, Zebra Technologies
"The IoT is here. To accelerate enterprise adoption, developers and device manufacturers require IoT kits that make it easy to prototype and develop IoT products. We are happy to work with leaders like ARM and Atmel to rapidly widen the appeal of IoT, with the kit our partners and customers can use to easily start building products and solutions on Zatar."
About Zebra Technologies
A global leader respected for innovation and reliability, Zebra Technologies Corporation (NASDAQ: ZBRA) offers technologies that give a virtual voice to an organization's assets, people and transactions, enabling organizations to unlock greater business value. The company's extensive portfolio of marking and printing solutions, including RFID and real-time location solutions, illuminates mission-critical information to help customers take smarter business actions. For more information about Zebra's solutions, visit www.zebra.com.
ARM (LSE: ARM) (NASDAQ: ARMH.US) is at the heart of the world's most advanced digital products. Our technology enables the creation of new markets and transformation of industries and society. We design scalable, energy efficient-processors and related technologies to deliver the intelligence in applications ranging from sensors to servers, including smartphones, tablets, enterprise infrastructure and the Internet of Things. Our innovative technology is licensed by ARM Partners who have shipped more than 50 billion Systems on Chip (SoCs) containing our intellectual property since the company began in 1990. Together with our Connected Community, we are breaking down barriers to innovation for developers, designers and engineers, ensuring a fast, reliable route to market for leading electronics companies. Learn more and join the conversation at http://community.arm.com.
Atmel is a worldwide leader in the design and manufacture of microcontrollers, capacitive touch solutions, advanced logic, mixed-signal, nonvolatile memory and radio frequency (RF) components. Leveraging one of the industry's broadest intellectual property (IP) technology portfolios, Atmel is able to provide the electronics industry with intelligent and connected solutions focused on the industrial, automotive, consumer, communications and computing markets.
Therese Van Ryne
Industry Analyst Relations Contact:
Zebra Technologies, Zebra and the Zebra logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Zebra Technologies Corporation and are used under license. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. ©2015 Zebra Technologies Corporation. All rights reserved.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/zebra-technologies-announces-arm-mbed-iot-starter-kit-for-zatar-300083059.html
SOURCE Zebra Technologies Corporation
|Zebra Technologies Corporation