- Dell expands four-socket server portfolio; introduces its most powerful four-socket server featuring highly scalable processing, memory and internal storage
- Powerful and reliable, the Dell PowerEdge R930 is ideal for customers migrating to more innovative x86 platforms from proprietary UNIX
- Delivers 22 percent better performance than our previous world-record-holding server on the industry ERP sales & distribution benchmark
ROUND ROCK, Texas — (BUSINESS WIRE) — April 28, 2015 — Dell today announced an expansion of its 13th generation PowerEdge servers including the PowerEdge R930, Dell’s most powerful server specifically designed for the most demanding enterprise applications such as in-memory databases, customer relationship management (CRM) and enterprise resource planning (ERP). Once the domain of UNIX systems, these enterprise applications are increasingly shifting to x86 platforms for increased innovation, additional capabilities and lower total cost of ownership.
The global x86 server market has grown more than 600 percent since Dell first introduced the PowerEdge portfolio roughly 20 years ago, while the non-x86 market has been on a constant decline – shrinking 70 percent between 2000 and 2013. Even with the declines, the non-x86 market presents a $9.1 billion (USD) addressable market in 2015(1). With the PowerEdge R930, along with Dell software and services, many of these non-x86 customers can migrate from UNIX to Linux with ease and move to a more innovative, future-ready data center.
“As our business continued to grow, our previous system was getting slow, hard to manage and unreliable,” said Gan Desheng, manager sub-division, Information Management, Ameco Beijing. “We were looking for a new system to keep up with our business needs and decided to migrate from RISC to x86 servers. By moving from IBM’s P-series UNIX systems to Dell’s PowerEdge R9-series servers we were able to reduce our total cost of ownership by nearly 50 percent, achieve 99.99 percent system availability and improve our performance of systems running the SAP® ERP application by 3.5 times.”
PowerEdge R930 built for performance, scalability, reliability and manageability
The PowerEdge R930 rack server can flexibly scale to optimize transactions and operations while reducing latency. It enables customers to:
- Maximize application performance with 22 percent better performance than our previous world-record four-socket server on the industry ERP sales & distribution benchmark(2). When paired with Dell Fluid Cache for SAN, organizations can further boost transactional performance and accommodate more virtual machines for increased productivity.
Flexibly scale workloads by bringing storage closer to compute
and leveraging industry-leading storage scalability and a
large memory footprint. The PowerEdge R930 features the future Intel®
Xeon® processor E7-8800/4800 v3 product families, 6TB of memory in 96
DIMMs, 24 internal hard drives and support for up to eight high
Express Flash NVMe PCIe SSDs.
- Dell was the first to ship NVMe PCIe SSDs and it’s now offering industry leading capacity with the new 3.2TB PCIe SSD. Dell PowerEdge Express Flash NVMe PCIe SSDs deliver ultra-high performance, front loading, hot pluggable 2.5-inch devices, providing up to 10 times more input /output operations per second (IOPS) over traditional SSDs(3).
- Customers can also leverage a mix of HDDs and SAS SSDs with SanDisk DAS Cache to reduce the price by 23 percent compared to an all SSD configuration while improving performance by 9 times of an all HDD configuration(4).
- Protect mission-critical and data-intensive applications with built-in reliability, availability and serviceability (RAS) features, such as Dell’s exclusive Fault Resilient Memory.
Reduce configuration time by up to 99 percent and reduce time on manual inventory by up to 91 percent(5). IT administrators can also receive higher levels of automation and monitor and remediate data center situations from a hand-held device anywhere in the world with Dell’s recently updated OpenManage systems management portfolio.
Dell helps customers quickly deploy applications with pre-integrated
and pre-engineered appliances