- BeyondStudio revolutionizes the JN516x software development experience, matching or exceeding competing products in ease of use, productivity and code quality
- Enables source level debugging through JTAG using Beyond Debug Key
- Achieves 15% code size reduction in JenNet-IP Mono bulb application
- Better code quality for JN516x results in performance improvement of 19% in Dhrystone and 22% in CoreMark
Eindhoven / Ljubljana, December 18, 2014 – NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) today unveiled the new BeyondStudioTM IDE for the JN516x range of wireless microcontrollers for Internet of Things (IoT) applications. The comprehensive software development environment, developed by Beyond Semiconductor, dramatically simplifies the development of software on the JN516x family – improving code density, reducing development time and improving code quality. Used in conjunction with the Beyond Debug Key, it provides full access to the JTAG software debug feature of the chips, simplifying and accelerating the development process.
“For almost a decade, the JN51xx microcontroller family has provided the optimum hardware platform for Zigbee products, integrating the highly efficient BA22™ 32-bit processor and a 2.4 GHz radio transceiver on a single chip,” said Simon Wadsworth, Software Team Leader at NXP Semiconductors. “BeyondStudio now brings improvements in code size, performance, and software development productivity, giving NXP customers even more advantage over those using competing products in the Zigbee space.”
Main features in BeyondStudio for NXP include:
- A highly optimized C/C++ compiler, linker and assembler controlled through an intuitive graphical interface for smaller code size and better performance
- Advanced debugging in conjunction with the Beyond Debug Key, including source level debugging, hardware PC breakpoint and data watchpoint support on JN516x chips through a JTAG interface
- Tight integration of JN516x specific functionality, including integral flash programming, for faster development
- Graphical source code editing, project setup, management and build control for rapid software development
“NXP, as a lead customer, significantly influenced the BA22 focus on lowest code density without sacrificing performance or power consumption,” said Matjaz Breskvar, chief executive officer of Beyond Semiconductor. “By simultaneously developing the compiler, instruction set architecture and processor from the ground up, Beyond achieved leading-edge code quality ten years ago and we have been steadily improving it since. Today’s BeyondStudio IDE announcement highlights our most recent improvements in code quality, ease of debug and software development productivity.”
BeyondStudio for NXP is available from the NXP Wireless connectivity TechZone and is compatible with Microsoft Windows 7 onwards. To learn more about the NXP JN516x microcontrollers family visit http://www.nxp.com/techzones/wireless-connectivity/overview.html [LINK]. More information about Beyond Semiconductor and its BA2x™ processor family is available on www.beyondsemi.com.
About NXP Semiconductors
NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) creates solutions that enable secure connections for a smarter world. Building on its expertise in High Performance Mixed Signal electronics, NXP is driving innovation in the automotive, identification and mobile industries, and in application areas including wireless infrastructure, lighting, healthcare, industrial, consumer tech and computing. NXP has operations in more than 25 countries, and posted revenue of $4.82 billion in 2013. Find out more at www.nxp.com.
About Beyond Semiconductor
Beyond Semiconductor is addressing challenges of systemic complexity in today’s electronic devices, empowering its customers to create new experiences for end users. Initially known for its processor expertise, Beyond quickly gained acceptance among top semiconductor companies and evolved into a global company leveraging processing, software and system-wide view competence to provide its customers with effectively designed IP and ASICs. Get more information at www.beyondsemi.com.