Third Quarter 2014
- Net sales $813 million
- Gross margin 18.8%
- Net income $47 million
- Earnings per diluted share $0.20
CHANDLER, Ariz. — (BUSINESS WIRE) — October 27, 2014 — Amkor Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMKR), a leading provider of semiconductor packaging and test services, today announced financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2014, with net sales of $813 million, net income of $47 million, and earnings per diluted share of $0.20.
"We delivered record sales this quarter, driven by gains in the mobile device market," said Steve Kelley, Amkor's president and chief executive officer. "Sales grew 6% sequentially and year-over-year, following 10% sequential growth in the second quarter. We had expected even stronger growth in Q3, but fell short of our goal, primarily due to reduced demand for high-end Android smartphones."
Selected financial information for the third quarter 2014 is as follows:
- Net Sales: $813 million, up 6% from $767 million in the prior quarter, and up 6% from $768 million in the third quarter of 2013
- Gross Margin: 18.8%, compared to 19.6% in the prior quarter, and adjusted gross margin of 19.7% in the third quarter of 2013
- Net Income: $47 million, compared to net income of $50 million in the prior quarter, and adjusted net income of $35 million in the third quarter of 2013. Second quarter 2014 net income includes a net gain of $18 million related to the sale of a subsidiary to J-Devices
- Earnings Per Diluted Share: $0.20, compared to earnings per diluted share of $0.21 in the prior quarter, and adjusted earnings per diluted share of $0.15 in the third quarter of 2013. Second quarter 2014 earnings per diluted share includes $0.08 related to the sale of a subsidiary to J-Devices
“Although we saw solid sales growth in the quarter, gross profit remained flat as we invested in our infrastructure ahead of the originally expected higher levels of demand,” said Joanne Solomon, Amkor's executive vice president and chief financial officer.
The adjusted gross margin, adjusted net income and adjusted earnings per diluted share information presented above excludes loss contingency charges relating to our pending patent license litigation and are non-GAAP measures. The loss contingency charge was $11 million ($10 million, net of tax) in the third quarter of 2013. Selected operating data for all periods discussed above, and a reconciliation to the comparable GAAP measures, are included in a section below before the financial statements.
Cash and cash equivalents were $486 million, and total debt was $1.5 billion, at September 30, 2014.
“Looking ahead to the fourth quarter, we see growth in mobile communications, offset by seasonal declines in the consumer, computing and industrial end markets," noted Kelley.
Based upon currently available information, we have the following expectations for the fourth quarter 2014:
- Net sales of $755 million to $805 million, down 1% to 7% from the prior quarter
- Full year 2014 net sales of $3,030 million to $3,080 million, up 3% to 4% from the prior year
- Gross margin of 17% to 20%
- Net income of $17 million to $41 million, or $0.07 to $0.17 per diluted share
- Full year 2014 capital expenditures of around $675 million
Conference Call Information
Amkor will conduct a conference call on Monday, October 27, 2014, at
5:00 p.m. Eastern Time. This call may include material information not
included in this press release. This call is being webcast and can be
accessed at Amkor's website:
You may also access the call by dialing 1-877-645-6380 or
1-404-991-3911. A replay of the call will be made available at Amkor's
website or by dialing 1-855-859-2056 or 1-404-537-3406 (conference ID
9026503). The webcast is also being distributed over NASDAQ OMX's
investor distribution network to both institutional and individual
investors. Institutional investors can access the call via NASDAQ OMX's
password-protected event management site, Street Events (