FRAMINGHAM, Mass — (BUSINESS WIRE) — September 18, 2014 — Worldwide PC monitor shipments totaled 32.5 million units in the second quarter of 2014 (2Q14), a year-over-year decline of -2.9%, according to the International Data Corporation ( IDC) Worldwide Quarterly PC Monitor Tracker. IDC expects worldwide shipments to continue on their current trajectory, slipping to 107 million units for the full year 2018.
"Despite the overall decline, there was a strong quarter-over-quarter growth rate of 11% in the United States and a slight increase in PC Monitor shipments in Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan)(APeJ). In addition, the shipment totals were stronger than forecast by 4%," said Keerthi Maganti, Research Analyst, Worldwide PC Monitor Trackers at IDC.
- LED product technology adoption continues to increase with a new high of 93% market share in 2Q14. This represents a year-over-year increase of 10.5%.
- Screen size of 21.x-inches wide has held the largest worldwide share for the last seven quarters, with 22.5% share in 2Q14.
- Aspect ratio of 16:9 continues to dominate with 82.4% market share, which is almost seven times the second most widely used aspect ratio of 16:10.
- Touch screen monitors are still a small segment of the total PC monitor market at 0.4% share, with sales mostly in the U.S. at 39.5% of the total. HP holds a 36.8% share of the U.S. market.
- Dell – Dell maintained its number 1 position in 2Q14 with worldwide market share of 15.4% on shipments of 5.0 million units. Japan had the highest market share from Dell in 2Q14 with 17.1% share. It continues as the number 1 vendor in the U.S. with 29.4% share.
- Samsung –Samsung continued to be ranked number 2 in terms of total units shipped and maintained the number 1position in terms of total revenue with $1.04 billion in 2Q14. Its revenue represents 17.9% share in total market value.
- HP – Despite being ranked number 3 worldwide, HP held the number 1 position in Canada and Western Europe with 17.2% and 16% overall market share respectively. It also holds the number 2 position in the U.S. and in Middle East and Africa (MEA).
- Lenovo – Lenovo moved up to the number 4 position in 2Q14. It continues to be the number 1 vendor APeJ with 25.7% growth over the first quarter of 2014. Lenovo's biggest gains in this quarter were in the Americas with 8.2% growth from the previous quarter.
- LG – Although LG has dropped to number 5 this quarter, it continues to maintain the number 1 rank in Latin America with 32.4% market share and is number 2 vendor in the Central and Eastern European (CEE) region.
Worldwide PC Monitor Unit Shipments, Market Share, and Year-over-Year Growth, Second Quarter 2014
|5. LG Electronics||3,054,829||9.4%||3,339,607||10.0%||-8.5%|