New 5G WiFi XStream Extends Wi-Fi Leadership with Unmatched Performance for Video Streaming and Home Networking ApplicationsIRVINE, Calif., April 15, 2014 — (PRNewswire) — News Highlights:
- Offers up to 50 percent speed advantage over Multi-User, Multiple-Input, Multiple-Output (MU-MIMO) routers
- Delivers data rates up to 3.2 Gbps for the highest performance in a home router
- Enhances performance for all Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ devices including smartphones, tablets, PCs and smart TVs
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today introduced the industry's first six stream 802.11ac MIMO platform for home networks. Broadcom's 5G WiFi XStream is up to 50 percent faster than MU-MIMO routers and gateways.
For more news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom.
The new platform has twice the bandwidth of existing 802.11ac routers and gateways, and provides advanced software to double performance of today's best-selling Wi-Fi devices for high-definition (HD) streaming and data consumption. By offering Wi-Fi data rates up to 3.2 Gbps, Broadcom's 5G WiFi XStream delivers an ideal experience for users who are simultaneously consuming more data, connecting Internet of Things devices and streaming HD content to multiple screens.
Broadcom's Intelligent Quality of Service (iQoS) advanced software identifies incoming traffic and allocates bandwidth so that applications like Netflix or YouTube get the highest priority while other applications, like file downloads, run at a lower priority. Broadcom's SmartConnect software automatically ensures that 802.11ac devices in the home are not sharing airtime with slower Wi-Fi devices. This process doubles the performance of all devices in the network.
"With the booming Internet of Things ecosystem and demand to wirelessly stream simultaneous HD content on smartphones, tablets and smart TVs, home networks today need a premium performance router that recognizes individual bandwidth requirements for an optimal experience," said Rahul Patel, Broadcom Vice President and General Manager, Wireless Connectivity Combos. "As the first company to introduce 802.11ac products and with our 5G WiFi technology powering routers from the top five router companies, Broadcom adds a new industry first with the 5G WiFi XStream platform."
"ASUS has recognized the significant potential of 802.11ac technology since its introduction," said Tenlong Deng, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Vice President of Networking and Wireless Devices Business Unit. "With Broadcom's powerful new 5G WiFi XStream platform, we can help our customers connect more devices and simultaneously stream more HD content."
"As the proliferation of devices in the home continue to grow, the home router will become even more critical to manage all the devices connected to the Internet and the network," said Mike Chen, Belkin Vice President of Product Management. "With Broadcom providing chipsets that enable Wi-Fi speeds up to 3.2Gbps; will help us further innovate to deliver new solutions that will enable consumers to experience all that the Internet of things has to offer."
"With an average of seven Wi-Fi devices for every Wi-Fi enabled home today, predicted to grow to an average of 11 Wi-Fi devices in 20171, now is the time to future proof home networks," said Patrick Lo, NETGEAR Chief Executive Officer. "Broadcom's six stream 802.11ac platform and advanced software provides us with the foundation to create products for the connected home of today and tomorrow."
Broadcom's 5G WiFi XStream is a MIMO platform for home routers that includes six 802.11ac streams and three 802.11n streams that run simultaneously. Highlights include:
- Five core "Penta Core" central processing unit (CPU) made up of two 5GHz radios and one 2.4GHz radio as well as 2.96 GHz processing power to maximize network capacity
- Support for recently released spectrum from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) through simultaneous multichannel capabilities in 5 GHz band to enable six 802.11ac streams over 160 MHz of bandwidth
- Greatest reach and rate at range through high power RF on upper 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands
- Better range for video streaming with transmit beamforming and AnyBeam technology
- SmartConnect software to ensure each Wi-Fi device operates on best frequency band in one of three appropriate wireless channels
- Automatic separation of coexisting 802.11n and 802.11ac Wi-Fi devices into distinct frequencies
- BroadStream Intelligent Quality of Service (iQoS) software to identify incoming traffic and allocate appropriate bandwidth for priority applications
- Wireless Insight software as visual tool to allow users to easily notice and diagnose common Wi-Fi issues, reducing the cost of ownership
- Standards compliance to ensure all Wi-Fi CERTIFIED devices seamlessly interoperate and benefit with the new platform
1Strategy Analytics, Embedded WLAN (Wi-Fi) CE Devices: Global Market Forecast, February 2014
Broadcom's 5G WiFi XStream Platform is currently sampling and will be in production this quarter.
For more information on 5G WiFi, visit http://www.broadcom.com/products/features/5gwifi.php.
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything® and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
Manager, Public Relations
Senior Director, Investor Relations
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Mobile & Wireless
BRCM Mobile & Wireless