- Offering the Industry's Largest LIN Portfolio, New LIN SBC Devices Deliver Lower Power Consumption, Improved LDO works down to 2.3V, MLC Blocking Capacitors for Lower Overall System CostSAN JOSE, Calif., Feb. 19, 2014 — (PRNewswire) — Atmel® Corporation (NASDAQ: ATML), a leader in microcontroller and touch technology solutions, today announced a new LIN system basis chip (SBC) ATA663254 for low-power local interconnect networking (LIN) systems used for automotive comfort, power-train, sensor and actuator applications. Atmel's ATA663254 is the first available device in this family of new LIN devices.
Atmel's new generation of LIN SBC devices delivers significantly lower current consumption in various modes of operation. The integrated low dropout voltage regulator (LDO) can be used in combination with low-cost MLC (multi-layer ceramic) blocking capacitors providing significant cost savings compared to solutions using tantalum capacitors. The improved voltage regulator works down to 2.3V supply voltage with best-in-class current consumption. This enables storing data within the MCU during system shutdown in case of unintended power supply interruption. The advanced features of the ATA663254 enable system designers to design best-in-class in-vehicle network applications in the latest automobiles. The devices are LIN specification 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.2A and SAE J2602-2 certified.
Atmel's new cost-optimized and performance enhanced LIN SBC is developed on a proprietary BCD-on-SOI (Bipolar CMOS and DMOS-on-Silicon on Insulator) process technology that combines high-voltage capability with rugged silicon on insulator technology. This combination allows for high-temperature operation, excellent EMC performance and very low leakage currents.
"As the leading automotive LIN provider with the largest LIN product portfolio worldwide, we are committed to delivering the most advanced solutions to meet customer and market demands for designing the latest in-vehicle networking systems," said Rob Valiton, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Automotive, Aerospace and Memory Business Units. "Adding to our diverse automotive product portfolio, this new LIN SBC device addresses the latest requirements for in-vehicle networking systems including lower power consumption, more compact PCB board designs and enabling an overall lower system cost. As the automotive design cycle continues to shorten, Atmel is committed to delivering the most innovative automotive products that enable customers to bring their unique, next-generation designs quickly to market."
Key Features for Atmel's ATA663254
- LIN Trx + 5V LDO
- LIN physical layer according to LIN 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.2A and SAEJ2602-2
- LDO: 5V/85mA±2%
- MLC blocking capacitors instead of tantalumimprove overall system cost
- Works down to 2.3V supply voltage
- Supply current
- Sleep mode current <15µA
- Normal mode current <290µA
- Low Linear mode current (2V<VS<5.5V) <170µA enables data-storage during unintended power supply interruption
- Compact DFN8 package
- Heat slug
- Wettable flanks for automatic optical inspection
- Pinout according to the new OEM hardware recommendations
To accelerate your design development, the ATAB663254A-V1.2 development kit is available through your local sales representative.
The kit includes a development board supporting the following features:
- Provides all components necessary to drive the ATA663254
- Choice of master or slave operation
- All pins easily accessible
- Switching into normal, silent or sleep mode
- LEDs for operation indication
- Ground coulter clip for easy probe connection while measuring with oscilloscope
Atmel's ATA663254 device is available today. The new device comes in a small DFN8 package with heat slug, wettable flanks for automatic optical inspection and pinout according to the new OEM hardware recommendations.
More Atmel Information
Atmel Automotive LIN Solutions:
Atmel YouTube Channel: www.atmel.com/youtube
Embedded Design Blog: www.atmelcorporation.wordpress.com
Atmel Corporation (Nasdaq: ATML) is a worldwide leader in the design and manufacture of microcontrollers, capacitive touch solutions, advanced logic, mixed-signal, nonvolatile memory and radio frequency (RF) components. Leveraging one of the industry's broadest intellectual property (IP) technology portfolios, Atmel provides the electronics industry with complete system solutions focused on industrial, consumer, communications, computing and automotive markets.
© 2014 Atmel Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Atmel®, Atmel logo and combinations thereof, and others are registered trademarks or trademarks of Atmel Corporation or its subsidiaries. Other terms and product names may be trademarks of others.
Agnes Toan, PR Manager
Tel: (+1) 408-487-2963, Email: Email Contact
SOURCE Atmel Corporation