"Compute performance is essential to effective creative workflows," said Steve Belt, corporate vice president, Strategic Alliances & Platform Enablement, AMD. "An efficient, speedy process is often the difference between successfully capturing inspiration and seeing flashes of brilliance ebb away. That is the real essence of what the AMD-Adobe collaboration achieves. Together we continually find ways to successfully tap open standards in order to deliver the highest levels of performance for the most sophisticated new tools like those unveiled today in Photoshop CC."
This new version of Photoshop CC, a key offering of Adobe Creative Cloud, builds on the success of its predecessor, which leveraged OpenCL to power the Blur Gallery. The new updated version of the Smart Sharpen feature leverages the power of OpenCL parallel processing to take direct advantage of AMD GPUs and APUs to accelerate the entire Smart Sharpen pipeline -- including the broad palette of user-controlled options for achieving perfect results such as Amount, Radius, Reduce Noise, and algorithm choice. AMD's latest graphics technology can increase application performance up to 11 times the performance of non-OpenCL implementations(1) and enables a lightning-fast editing experience, even with large images.
The latest version of Photoshop CC also brings new OpenGL pipeline support in AMD APUs and GPUs to enhance the responsiveness and display quality for new, high-value features including:
- Perspective Warp - OpenGL performance provides virtually instant feedback for this new feature that enables users to selectively adjust the perspective of portions of an image in relation to other elements that remain untouched.
- 3D Printing - OpenGL performance enhances the experience of working with the powerful new 3D printing capabilities in Photoshop CC by providing rapid visual feedback as 3D models are enhanced as well as accurate, WYSIWYG previews and fast mesh repair and 3D print preparation.
"We rely on OpenCL and OpenGL technologies to provide our customers superior performance and to take full advantage of all the power their hardware provides," said Pam Clark, director of product management at Adobe. "Working with AMD, we can leverage open standards to deliver the fastest and best experience for our Photoshop customers."
These new Photoshop features accelerated by AMD are just the latest developments of a long-standing collaboration that has brought dozens of hardware accelerated features to Photoshop including the Blur Gallery of effects, Puppet Warp, Liquify and many more.
- Blog: New Adobe® Photoshop® CC Blockbuster Features Scream on AMD Graphics
- Slides from AMD Developer Summit 2013 technical session: Smart Sharpen using OpenCL in Adobe Photoshop CC - Challenges and Achievements, by Joseph Hsieh at Adobe
- Smart Sharpen performance demo
- Adobe® Creative Cloud provides cross-platform acceleration for AMD graphics on both Windows and Apple computers, including the all-new Apple Mac Pro system with dual AMD FirePro graphics
- Details about AMD and Adobe
- For more information about AMD APUs
- For more information about AMD FirePro Graphics support for Adobe
- For more information about AMD
AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, Radeon and combinations thereof, are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Adobe, Creative Cloud, and Photoshop are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries. OpenCL and the OpenCL logo are trademarks of Apple, Inc. used by permission by Khronos. OpenGL is a registered trademark of SGI. All other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
(1) The AMD A10-7850K APU can process images at up to 11 times faster with the new OpenCL- optimized version of the Adobe® Photoshop® CC Smart Sharpen feature. AMD tests are performed on optimized AMD reference systems. PC manufacturers may vary their configuration yielding different results. Test project used the Smart Sharpen feature in Adobe® Photoshop® CC, updated January 2014, test image: 5616x3744, 60.2MB, .PSD format. A desktop PC with AMD A10-7850K APU with AMD Radeon R7 Series graphics, 2x4GB DDR3-2133 RAM, video driver 13.300.0.0 - 22-Dec-2013 (RC1), Window 8.1 build 9600, took 52.63 seconds with OpenCL off, 4.39 seconds with OpenCL on. KVD-4
Contact: Kristen Lisa AMD Public Relations (512) 602-6020 firstname.lastname@example.org