FRAMINGHAM, Mass. — (BUSINESS WIRE) — December 23, 2013 — Total worldwide PC monitor shipments were more than 35.0 million units in the third quarter of 2013 (3Q13), an increase of 4.5% compared to the previous quarter and 1.2 million units more than forecast, according to the International Data Corporation ( IDC) Worldwide Quarterly PC Monitor Tracker. Year-over-year growth was -8.6% in 3Q13, largely due to the ongoing decline in PC sales.
"Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan)(APeJ), Western Europe, and Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) outperformed the overall market in the third quarter and increased their regional market shares," said Jennifer Song, Research Analyst, Worldwide Trackers at IDC. "China and India were the top growth drivers within APeJ, while Germany and Russia were the leading country markets in Europe."
Looking ahead to the fourth quarter of 2013, IDC is forecasting a quarter-over-quarter decline of -3.2% in worldwide shipments to 33.9 million units. However, IDC slightly raised its total shipment forecast for 2013 from 134.7 million units to 136.3 million units, which represents a decline of -8.5% compared to 2012. By 2017, worldwide shipments are expected to drop further to 109.6 million units, lower than the previous forecast of 110.8 million units, as the adoption of mobile devices at lower price points is expected to continue.
- LED backlight technology adoption continues to increase with 84.9% market share in 3Q13. This represents a year-over-year increase of 14.4 percentage points.
- Screen size of 21.x-inches wide has held the largest worldwide share for the last four quarters, with 21.4% share in 3Q13.
- Aspect ratio of 16:9 continues to dominate with 77.5% market share, which is more than 4 times the second most widely used aspect ratio of 16:10.
- Monitors with TV tuners are expected to grow to 7.7% market share by 2017, up from 5.7% share in 2013, led by LG and Samsung with a combined market share of 95% in this category.
- While touchscreen monitors are still a small segment of the total PC monitor market at 0.3% share, it is mostly in the U.S. at 48.6% share with Dell holding a 28.6% portion of the U.S. market.
- Dell – Dell stayed in the top position in 3Q13 with worldwide market share of 13.9% on shipments of 4.8 million units. While the U.S. declined by -13.0% from previous quarter, APeJ and CEE delivered the biggest gains for Dell with 4.4% and 46.0% quarter-over-quarter growth, respectively.
- Samsung – Although Samsung ranked second in unit shipments worldwide, it remains the top vendor in terms of total revenue with $1.09 billion in 3Q13, which represents 17.9% share in total market value.
- HP – HP remained the number three vendor, with the largest quarter-over-quarter increase of 35.8% in Japan.
- LG – LG stayed in the number four position overall and it continues to be the number one PC monitor vendor in Latin America with 27.8% share. This past quarter it also captured the top position in Central and Eastern Europe with 18.4% share.
- AOC – AOC rejoined the Top 5 vendor ranking in 3Q13 after slipping to number six in the previous quarter with a 11.6% increase in unit shipments from previous quarter. Every region except Japan saw positive gains, with China and India driving growth.
Worldwide PC Monitor Unit Shipments, Market Share, and Year-over-Year Growth, Third Quarter 2013