Ultra-High Density FatTwin Server Delivers Massive 144 TFLOPS of Parallel Processing Power with Maximized I/O in 42U RackSAN JOSE, Calif., Nov. 18, 2013 — (PRNewswire) — Super Micro Computer, Inc. (NASDAQ: SMCI), a global leader in high-performance, high-efficiency server, storage technology and green computing, exhibits its latest high-performance computing (HPC) solutions at the Supercomputing 2013 (SC13) conference this week in Denver, Colorado. Highlighted at the show is Supermicro's innovative high-density energy efficient Twin architecture and the launch of a new 4U FatTwin platform featuring two ultra high performance compute nodes, each supporting dual Intel® Xeon® E5-2600 v2 "Ivy Bridge" processors (up to 130W TDP) and up to six Intel® Many Integrated Core (MIC) based Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessors. Also making their debut are new 2U TwinPro™ and TwinPro²™ SuperServers, the second generation Twin architecture from Supermicro featuring greater memory capacity up to 16x DIMMs, 12Gb/s SAS 3.0 support, NVMe optimized PCI-E SSD interface, additional PCI-E expansion slots, 10GbE and onboard QDR/FDR InfiniBand for maximized I/O and support for a full-length, double-width Xeon Phi coprocessor per node in the 2U TwinPro. Supermicro will also highlight the 4U 4-node FatTwin SuperServer which supports up to 3x Intel Xeon Phi 5110P coprocessors paired with dual Intel Xeon E5-2600 v2 processors. This platform configured and deployed by Atipa Technologies supports the US Department of Energy's (DOE) Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory (EMSL) supercomputer. The EMSL HPCS-4A on the DOE's Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) campus comprises 42x 42U rack clusters with 1,440 compute nodes and 2,880 Intel® Xeon Phi™ coprocessors, providing 3.38 petaflops theoretical peak processing speed and 2.7 petabytes of usable storage. The HPCS-4A is expected to be ranked among the world's top 20 fastest supercomputers.
Additional MIC based 1U, 2U, 3U, 4U SuperServer, FatTwin™, SuperBlade®, MicroBlade, MicroCloud, Hyper-Speed and 4-Way systems along with single/dual/multi processor (UP/DP/MP) motherboards which are the foundation of Supermicro's server Building Block Solutions® will also be on exhibit. High bandwidth 12Gb/s storage servers featuring LSI 3008 SAS3 controllers and 4U 72x hot-swap HDD bay Double-Sided Storage® servers maximize I/O performance with Intel® Cache Acceleration Software (CAS), offering dramatically enhanced performance for data-intensive HPC applications running on dedicated servers or virtual machines (VMs). Complete rack, network and server management software solutions round out the end-to-end server, network and storage solutions that can be configured and optimized to meet any scale supercomputing deployment.
"Supermicro's Twin architecture delivers maximum performance per watt, per dollar, per square foot for many supercomputing deployments with its unique combination of high performance compute density coupled with energy saving technology and highest reliability," said Charles Liang, President and CEO of Supermicro. "Indeed, we have invested a great amount of engineering effort to perfect our Twin server technology and now offer an unrivaled range of server solutions optimized for practically any scale application. With our new 4U 2-node FatTwin featuring dual Xeon CPUs and six Xeon Phi coprocessors per node, science, research and engineering programs can increase and accelerate project deliverables with maximized utilization of budget, resources and space."
"The industry is moving from experimentation with heterogeneous computing to more efficient neo-heterogeneity which combines the benefits of heterogeneous hardware while still using the same, common and standard programming models for both the CPU and co-processor," said Rajeeb Hazra, vice president and general manager of Technical Computing Group at Intel. "With solution providers such as Supermicro combining the high-performance Intel Xeon processors E5-2600 v2 with Intel Xeon Phi coprocessors in high-density, scalable server solutions, industry has the ideal pairing of technology to enable a neo-heterogeneous era. With a common underlying Intel architecture we provide developers with a rapid deployment environment for their programs along with enterprise class stability and reliability for the most demanding mission critical, compute intensive applications."
Supermicro's New HPC optimized supercomputing solutions on exhibit this week at SC'13 include:
- 4U 12x Xeon Phi FatTwin™ (SYS-F647G2-FT+) – 2-node system featuring 6x Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessors per node with Front I/O, Redundant Platinum Level high efficiency power supplies and hot-swap cooling fans. Each node supports dual Intel® Xeon® E5-2600 v2 (up to 130W TDP) processors, 16x DDR3 Reg. ECC DIMMs, 10GbE onboard option and 8x 2.5" hot-swap SAS/SATA/SSD bays.
- 2U TwinPro™ (SYS-2027PR-DTR) / TwinPro²™ (SYS-2027PR-HTR) – Supermicro takes its 2U Twin architecture to the next level of performance, flexibility and expandability with the high efficiency 2-node TwinPro and high density 4-node TwinPro². Each node supports dual Intel® Xeon® E5-2600 v2 processors and the 2-node 2U TwinPro accommodates an Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessor with support for two additional add on cards per node. The systems feature greater memory capacity up to 16x DIMMs, 12Gb/s SAS 3.0 support, NVMe optimized PCI-E SSD interface, additional PCI-E expansion slots, 10GbE and onboard QDR/FDR InfiniBand for maximized I/O.
End-to-End Scalable Computing Solutions include:
- 1U SuperServer® ( SYS-1027GR-TRT2) – supports 3x Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessors and dual Intel® Xeon® E5-2600 v2 series processors (up to 130W TDP).
- 2U SuperServer® ( SYS-2027GR-TRFH) – supports 6x Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessors and dual Intel® Xeon® E5-2600 v2 series processors (up to 130W TDP).
- 3U SuperServer® ( SYS-6037R-72RFT+) – supports 2x Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessors and dual Intel® Xeon® E5-2600 v2 series processors (up to 135W TDP).
- SuperBlade® ( SBI-7127RG-E) – Supports 2x Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessors, dual Intel® Xeon® E5-2600 v2 series processors per Blade. 10x Blades in 7U SuperBlade® enclosure offers high density 120x Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessors and 120x CPUs per 42U rack.
- MicroBlade – 6U powerful and flexible microserver platform that features 28x hot-swappable micro blades supporting 112x Intel® Atom™ processor C2000 or 28x Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 v2 / 56x E5-1600 v2 family configurations with 2x HDDs/SSDs per node for high-performance applications.
- MicroCloud – 3U in 12-node ( SYS-5038ML-H12TRF), 8-node ( SYS-5038ML-H8TRF) and coming 24-node ( SYS-5038ML-H24TRF) configurations supporting independent hot-swappable nodes, Intel® Xeon® processor E3-1200 v3, 32GB memory, up to 2x 3.5" or optional 4x 2.5" HDDs and MicroLP expansion
- 4U 4-Way (Quad CPU) SuperServer® (SYS-4048B-TRFT) – Quad Intel® Xeon processor, 96x DIMMs DDR3 Reg. ECC 1600MHz (up to 6TB), 11x PCI-E 3.0 slots, Dual 10Gb LAN, up to 48x hot-swap 2.5" HDD/SSD bays.
- 4U/Tower SuperWorkstation ( SYS-7047GR-TRF / -TPRF) – Ultimate performance and expandability with support for up to 4x Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessors and dual Intel® Xeon® E5-2600 v2 series processors.
- 2U Hyper-Speed Servers ( SYS-6027AX-TRF-HFT3 / -72RF-HFT3) – Highly optimized solution for low-latency applications, featuring special firmware and hardware modifications and supporting accelerated dual Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2687W v2 CPUs.
- 2U SAS3 12Gb/s SuperStorage Server ( SSG-2027R-AR24NV) – 24x hot-swap 2.5" SAS3 (12Gb/s)/SATA3 HDD/SSD bays with direct attached backplane. 3x LSI 3008 SAS3 controllers in IT mode providing 12Gb/s throughput, dual Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 v2 and support for NVDIMM technology.
- 4U Double-Sided Storage® ( SSG-6047R-E1R72L) – 72x hot-swap 3.5" HDD/SSD bays plus 2x 2.5" internal HDD/SSD bays, dual Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 v2 support, up to 1TB ECC DDR3 in 16x DIMMs.
- Uni-Processor ( UP), Dual-Processor ( DP) and Quad Multi-Processor ( MP) Motherboards
- Complete Rack, Network and Server Management Solutions – SuperRack® enclosures in 14U and 42U, 10/1GbE Top-of-Rack Network Switches, Supermicro Server Management Utilities and full Integration Services.
Experience Supermicro's complete range of High Performance Computing solutions at the Supercomputing 2013 Conference this week November 18th – 22nd in Denver, Colorado in the Colorado Convention Center, Booth #3132.