Featured Japan’s First High Bit Depths (12-bit/10-bit) and Lossless Processing Function
OCTOBER 11, 2013 --- Shikino High-Tech Co., Ltd. (“Shikino”) today announced that it has launched a new high-speed JPEG codec IP , “KJN-7EX_LSC”, and commences sales today. As a new product from the “KJN series” with the world’s top share in the still image compression/decompression technology, “KJN-7EX_LSC” equips with high bit depths (12-bit/10-bit) to obtain ultra-high definition images and the lossless processing function to provide outstanding images without the image quality deterioration due to the image compression/decompression. The product is most suitable for the medical/broadcasting/aerospace fields and so forth.
- Obtain ultra-high definition images by high bit depths
In addition to the existing 8-bit depth in JPEG, the first high bit depths (12-bit/10-bit) mounted in Japan attains high image quality. This product is most suitable for the medical/broadcasting/aerospace/industrial camera fields requiring color reproducibility and high gradation.
- Achieve outstanding images without the image quality deterioration by the image compression/decompression technology
The lossless processing function makes it possible to achieve outstanding images without the image quality deterioration when compressing them. This KJN-7EX_LSC technology is optimally applied to highly advanced medical equipments, image processing inspection devices and aviation/aerospace equipments that have required customers to use the uncompressed and large-volume RAW images to prevent the image quality deterioration.
- Attain 60 consecutive 4K2K still images per second using the lossless processing function
The lossless processing function provides users with the 8X (8 Data/clock) processing speed (data rate). This is optimal for consumer devices requiring high-speed consecutive shooting (e.g., DSC, DSC-SLR, Smartphones, 8K4K displays and so forth).
The product is anticipated to meet the market demands for medical equipments, image inspection devices, high-definition image devices, consumer devices and so on. Also, Shikino has developed and released “KJN-7EX” for the 12-bit/10-bit/8-bit JPEG processing that gives customers options to choose their most suitable lineups to satisfy their requests.
- Gradation: A unit expressing color and brightness
- Number of colors: Cubed gradation numbers in the RGB color model
- 8 bit: 256 gradations per color/16.77 million colors (8 bit applied to PC)
- 10 bit: 1024 gradations per color/1.07 billion colors
- 12 bit: 4096 gradations per color/68.71 billion colors
About JPEG Extended DCT-based process /JPEG Lossless process
The 12-bit JPEG (Extended DCT-based process) employed in “KJN-7EX_LSC” is an international standard to extend general 8-bit JPEG to 12 bit in the ITU-T Recommendation T.81 and ISO/IEC International Standard 10918-1. As for the lossless process, it complies with the lossless compression of Annex H following the same standard.
Features of “KJN-7EX_LSC”, a still image codec IP for the lossless/lossy process
- Support 8, 10 and 12-bit depth for both Lossless and Lossy formats.
- Enable 1600M Sample/sec (200 MHz) processing.
- Obtain high-speed, small-scale and power-thrifty processing by Shikino’s original algorithms.
- Achieve high compression performance by using our original Huffman table for 12-bit/10-bit JPEG.
- CPU bus : 32 bit
- Image data bus : 96 bit
- Code data bus : 64/96/128 bit
- Quantization table : 4 tables(RAM)
- Huffman table : 4 tables for DC and AC respectively (RAM) *1
- Color format : YUV444, YUV422, YUV420, YUV411, Gray-Scale and CMYK *1
- Huffman table
- For compression: 4 programmable tables in DC
- For decompression: 4 tables in the stream in DC
- For compression: 2 original fixed tables (12-bit/10-bit) and 2 standard fixed tables (8-bit) in DC and AC respectively
- For decompression: 4 tables in the stream in DC and AC respectively
IP sales representatives
Tokyo Design Center
Osaka Design Center
PR publicists Office of the President