Des Plaines, IL, May 17, 2013 -- URISA's Vanguard Cabinet is pleased to announce that an Outreach Committee has been established to focus on student engagement within GIS and other geospatial fields. This committee is responsible for outreach to college and university students and for developing programs and events to support students in their academic work and their transition into young professionals.
URISA first recognized the need to increase young professional engagement by establishing the Vanguard Cabinet (VC) in late 2010. The VC has taken this initiative a step further with the creation of the Outreach Committee to further engage students and make them aware of the many resources URISA offers, even while they are still pursuing a degree.
For $20 a year, a URISA student membership provides the following:
- Subscriptions to the URISA Journal, The GIS Professional, and the URISA Digest
- Access to the URISA Career Center, publications, and Members Only resources
- Discounted or free registration for URISA conferences and educational events
- Thousands of potential connections with established GIS professionals
Current opportunities for GIS students to get involved with URISA's GIS-Pro Conference (Providence, RI from September 16-19, 2013) include a student competition and student volunteer opportunities.
- Student Paper Competition: Submit a paper to be reviewed by a panel of judges; lead authors of top papers receive a one-year URISA membership and free registration to GIS-Pro 2013, along with an opportunity to present at the conference. Deadline for submissions is June 3, 2013. http://www.urisa.org/StudentPaper
- Student Poster Competition: Submit a poster to be reviewed by a panel of judges; the top ten posters will receive a one-year URISA membership. Deadline for submissions is June 3, 2013. http://www.urisa.org/PosterCompetition
- Student Volunteer Opportunities: URISA strives to involve students as much as possible in its annual conference. There will be a limited number of opportunities to attend the conference through a complimentary registration, in return for volunteering at the conference. http://www.urisa.org/gispro2013
If you are interested in joining the Outreach Committee or would like additional information, please contact Ashley Hitt at
About URISA: URISA - The Association for GIS Professionals - is a leading provider of learning and knowledge for the GIS community. URISA connects great ideas and great people to inspire leadership and achievement. URISA strives to provide exceptional educational experiences, a vibrant and connected community, and the essential resources you need to be successful in your career. URISA is a multidisciplinary association where professionals from all parts of the spatial data community come together to share concerns and ideas. www.urisa.org
About the URISA Vanguard Cabinet: The vision of the Vanguard Cabinet is to provide students and young professionals within the geospatial profession with opportunities to further professional development and represent their interests within the URISA organization. http://www.urisa.org/about/vanguard