Expanding intellectual property in power management, lighting and solar energy
BIEL, Switzerland & MILPITAS, Calif. — (BUSINESS WIRE) — February 12, 2013 — IXYS Corporation (NASDAQ: IXYS), an international power semiconductor and IC company, announced today that the company has to date been granted 22 U.S. patents during the current fiscal year, which ends March 31, 2013. Many of the patents focus on power semiconductors, integrated circuits, microcontrollers and photovoltaics. All of these seek to achieve the same set of targets: reduce energy consumption, improve power monitoring and enable industrial/consumer devices to control energy and power. Some of these innovative technologies are on the market today and IXYS expects that more will be available in the near future.
“We currently hold more than 350 patents that cover a broad range of technologies and processes, many of which are currently used in our products. During this current fiscal year, we have further extended the range of our IP portfolio,” stated Dr. Nathan Zommer, Chairman and CEO of IXYS. “IXYS has achieved a level of technical independence and offers customers innovative solutions not available elsewhere.”
Among the recent patents granted:
- U.S. Patent #8165832B1 - A wall plug monitor that measures digitally AC power consumption for appliances and power systems connected to the AC line.
- U.S. Patent #8188686B1 - RF enabled occupancy detection and connection to cellular phone network for smart phone connectivity, notification and control of lights.
- U.S. Patent #8242832B2 - Solar cell energy generation with integrated charge pumps boost circuits, for energy harvesting applications.
- U.S. Patent #8264171B1 - In situ LED temperature monitoring using the LED as its sensor while in operation to improve LED lifetime.
- U.S. Patent #8324824B2 - One wire interface circuitry, for communication between a host controller and an LED driver.
- U.S. Patent #8334451B1 - Integrated solar cells creating a photovoltaic panel on a chip with desired voltage and current outputs.
- U.S. Patent #8344480B1 - High performance IGBT power semiconductor.
- U.S. Patent #8347120B2 - System and method for conserving power (the reduction of “vampire power”) used and applied to an electrical apparatus based on pattern of use.
- U.S. Patent #8356759B2 – Low cost magnetic stripe reader using independent switching thresholds.
- U.S. Patent #8358087B2 - Alternating turn-off timing of a fluorescent lamp starter unit.
- U.S. Patent #8358093B2 - Sample and hold time stamp for sensing zero crossing of a back electromotive force in 3-phase brushless DC motors.
- U.S. Patent #8363412B2 – Mother and daughter board configuration to improve current and voltage capabilities of a power instrument.
“IXYS invests approximately 9% of its annual revenue in research and development, as the company believes that innovation leads to greater competitiveness in the semiconductor marketplace,” commented Uzi Sasson, President and CFO of IXYS. “We anticipate that these innovative technologies will be used in the years ahead. In addition to adopting these technologies within IXYS, we expect to continue our past practice of offering licenses to certain patents to our partners.”
About IXYS Corporation
Since its founding in Silicon Valley, IXYS Corporation has been developing technology-driven products to improve energy conversion efficiency, generate clean energy, improve automation, and provide advanced products for the transportation, medical and telecommunications industries. IXYS, with its subsidiaries, is a worldwide pioneer in the development of power semiconductors, solid-state relays, high voltage integrated circuits (HVIC) and microcontrollers that are necessary in conserving energy and in reducing the world’s dependence on fossil fuels.
Diminishing natural resources, demand for renewable energy and environmental directives for energy efficiency represent a significant challenge. IXYS’ power semiconductors and mixed-signal integrated circuits (IC) play a vital role in reducing energy costs and consumption by optimizing the energy efficiency of everyday products. With an end-customer base of over 2,000 telecommunications, transportation, industrial, medical and consumer companies, IXYS is a worldwide recognized provider of advanced semiconductors.
Additional information may be obtained by visiting IXYS’ website at http://www.ixys.com, or by contacting the company directly.
Safe Harbor Statement
The foregoing press release contains forward-looking statements,
including those related to our expectations for the marketing, use and
adoption of patented technologies and our expectation for the
availability of patent licenses. Actual results may vary materially from
those contained in the forward-looking statements, due to competition,
unanticipated technological hurdles, adverse changes in customer demand
and changing business strategies, among other things. Further
information on other factors that could affect IXYS is detailed and
included in reports IXYS filed with the Securities and Exchange
Commission including its Form 10-Q for the quarter ended December 31,
2012. IXYS undertakes no obligation to publicly release the results of
any revisions to these forward-looking statements.