Integrated design with TI's Sitara AM335x processors, CC2530 ZigBee® system-on-chip and WiLink™ 8.0 solution jumpstarts and simplifies developmentSAN DIEGO, Jan. 29, 2013 — (PRNewswire) — �A leading innovator of energy management, communication and control solutions for the smart grid, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today announced its first integrated HG3352 Home Gateway Reference Design to be demonstrated at DistribuTECH 2013. The easy-to-use reference design links home energy systems that use ZigBee to any Wi-Fi® router, so consumers can monitor or control their smart energy devices or home automation systems in the palm of a hand via smartphones or tablets. The reference design supports ZigBee, Wi-Fi and Ethernet connectivity right out of the box to allow developers to create home gateways that can interface with multiple systems, products and applications within a smart home. TI's new reference design has been designed in partnership with Alektrona – a specialist in creating networked smart energy products and applications. For more information, visit www.ti.com/gateway-pr-lp.
The Home Gateway Reference Design gives developers all of the hardware and software needed to build a home gateway system, including a 275 MHz Sitara™ ARM® AM3352 Cortex™-A8 processor that runs applications, multiple communication stacks, and provides local intelligence for energy management and home automation activities. For wireless connectivity to the smart grid and within the home, the reference design includes TI's CC2530 ZigBee system-on-chip (SoC), WiLink™ 8.0 combo-connectivity solution, and TPS650250 power management integrated circuit. The home gateway design demonstrates how TI's complementary portfolio of embedded, analog and connectivity components can help developers save time and money by using tested and interoperable components from a single supplier.
The new Home Gateway Reference Design is the latest example of TI's commitment to helping developers create innovative technology that reduces energy consumption and smarter connected devices for the smart grid. With TI's extensive ARM processor portfolio that has more than 500 products and boasts offerings from $1 in price and up to 5 GHz in performance, developers can maximize their investment, accelerate time to market and enable differentiated products based on customer needs.
Features and benefits of the new HG3352 Home Gateway Reference Design:
- TI's Sitara's AM3352 ARM Cortex-A8 processor running Linux OS allows developers to create designs in an open-source environment.
- Flexible Sitara processor portfolio is scalable from 275MHz to 1GHz based on customers' performance and cost needs.
- Single ZigBee device (CC2530) supports ZigBee Home Automation™ and ZigBee Smart Energy™ standards.
- WiLink 8.0 solution supports Wi-Fi, Bluetooth®, and Bluetooth low energy in a single chip.
- 6-channel power management integrated circuit (TPS650250) with dynamic voltage scaling provides high power efficiency.
- 2GB of external NAND Flash memory and 2GB of DDR3 memory allow developers to create designs that support significant data storage.
- Expansion headers give developers flexibility to support power line communications (PLC) and other wireless standards.
- Enabling 6LoWPAN IPv6 wireless connectivity allows developers to create gateways that can connect to new Internet-enabled devices.
Pricing and availability
Early samples of the new HG3352 Home Gateway Reference Design are now available. The reference design will also be available on TI's eStore for USD $449 in 2Q 2013. For more information about obtaining a sample or purchasing this reference design, please contact your TI sales representative.
Visit TI @ DistribuTECH 2013
DistribuTECH is the utility industry's leading smart grid conference and exposition. Stop by booth 943 to see TI's Smart Grid demonstrations, including the Home Gateway Reference Design, solutions and meet our Smart Grid experts. Be sure to also follow @TXInstruments on Twitter and TI Microcontrollers on Facebook for exclusive show updates!
TI's Smart Grid solutions
With millions of energy meter ICs shipped over the past decade, Texas Instruments is the global systems provider for innovative, secure, economical and future-proof solutions for the worldwide smart grid. TI offers the industry's broadest smart grid portfolio of metrology expertise, application processors, communication systems, wireless connectivity and analog components in readily available silicon, with advanced software, tools and support for compliant solutions in grid infrastructure, utility metering and home or building automation. Learn more at www.ti.com/smartgrid.
Find out more about TI's smart grid solutions
- TI's smart grid solutions guide: www.ti.com/gateway-pr-sg
- TI's smart home and building solutions: www.ti.com/gateway-pr-han
- Sitara ARM Cortex-A8 processors: www.ti.com/gateway-pr-sitara
- TI's wireless connectivity solutions: www.ti.com/wirelessconnectivity
- Smart Grid TI E2E™ community: www.ti.com/gateway-pr-e2e
- Read TI's Smart Grid white paper: www.ti.com/gateway-pr-wp
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
Sitara, WiLink and TI E2E are trademarks of Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI). All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated
|Texas Instruments Incorporated
Mark Welsh, GolinHarris
Email Contact Patty Arellano, Texas Instruments