Model enables designers to quickly simulate, model and test the full analog signal chainDALLAS, May 21, 2012 — (PRNewswire) — Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced a successive-approximation-register (SAR) analog-to-digital converter (ADC) with a downloadable TINA-TI™ SPICE model, enabling system designers to simulate and characterize the full analog signal chain in software for the first time. The model is available for the new 12-bit, 1-MSPS, 8-channel ADS8028, a highly-integrated SAR ADC featuring a low-drift internal voltage reference, wide external analog voltage reference range, wide analog and digital supply ranges, and an internal temperature sensor. For more information, visit www.ti.com/ads8028-pr.
Designers could previously only simulate, model and test up to the SAR ADC, requiring them to invest time and resources building the ADC circuit in hardware. With a downloadable TINA-TI SPICE model available for all new SAR ADCs, designers will be able to fully verify ADC driving circuitry, enabling them to speed product development.
Key features and benefits of the ADS8028
- Tools to simulate and evaluate quickly: TINA-TI reference design and product evaluation module (EVM) include the OPA836 driver amplifier for fast software simulation and hardware evaluation.
- Integration to reduce board space, bill of materials: Integrates an internal 2.5-V reference, +1 degree Celsius accurate temperature sensor and internal multiplexer with sequencer; it also eliminates the need for an external decoupling capacitor.
- Widest supply ranges provide greater power supply flexibility: 3x wider analog supply range of 2.7 V to 5.25 V, 80-percent wider digital supply range of 1.65 V to 5.25 V and 2.5x wider external reference range of 1 V to 5 V, compared to the competition.
- Low power consumption, small size for battery-powered, space-constrained designs: Consumes a maximum of 36 microWatts in power-down mode across a wide operating temperature range of -40 C to 125 C in a small 4-mm x 4-mm package to support battery-powered, space-constrained designs.
- Feature set supports diverse applications: Low power consumption, wide temperature and supply ranges, and a high level of integration enable use in a wide variety of applications, including portable consumer electronics, wireless infrastructure and industrial equipment.
Tools and support
In addition to the TINA-TI SPICE model, an IBIS model is available to verify board signal integrity requirements. The ADS8028EVM-PDK is also available to expedite evaluation of the new ADC. It can be ordered today for US$199.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The ADS8028 is available today in a 4-mm x 4-mm QFN package for a suggested retail price of US$3.25 in 1,000-unit quantities.
Learn more about TI's data converter portfolio by visiting the links below:
- Order ADS8028 samples: www.ti.com/ads8028s-pr.
- Buy the ADS8028EVM-PDK: www.ti.com/ads8028evm-pdk-pr.
- Download the data sheet: www.ti.com/ads8028ds-pr.
- Download the free TINA-TI client from the WEBENCH® Design Center: www.ti.com/tina-ti-pr.
- Ask questions, help solve problems in the Precision Data Converter forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/e2epdc-pr.
- Follow what TI signal chain experts have to say on our blog: www.ti.com/analogwire-pr.
- Download a news release graphic at: www.ti.com/newscenterphotos-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E, TINA-TI and WEBENCH are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated
|Texas Instruments Incorporated
Kristina Arnold of Texas Instruments
Vicky Smithee of GolinHarris
Email Contact for Texas Instruments Incorporated