Company Partners with Myricom to Enter High Performance Networking Market for Low Latency Applications
LAS VEGAS & COSTA MESA, Calif. — (BUSINESS WIRE) — May 8, 2012 — Emulex Corporation (NYSE: ELX) today announced the introduction of a family of new OneConnect® Network Xceleration™ solutions for the High Performance Networking (HPN) market, its next generation LightPulse® (LP)e16000R 16Gb Fibre Channel (16GFC) Host Bus Adapters (HBAs) based on the new Emulex Engine™ (XE)201R converged fabric controller, and its next generation OneConnect (OC)e11000R Universal Converged Network Adapters (UCNAs) based on the new XE4310R Ethernet controller, delivering a broad array of I/O connectivity solutions to address the needs of the changing data center.
Emulex is bringing its new family of OneConnect (OC)e12000 10Gb Ethernet (10GbE) Network Xceleration solutions to market in partnership with Myricom, an industry leader in delivering high performance, latency optimized Ethernet solutions for vertical market applications. This multi-generational marketing and development partnership leverages Myricom’s deep expertise in HPN, specifically low latency, high packet-rate, vertical application optimizations, and Emulex’s broad enterprise reach, high volume, enterprise-hardened hardware roadmap, and global go-to-market channels.
“By partnering with Myricom, Emulex is offering I/O connectivity solutions that broaden our reach in the Ethernet market and fast growing HPN vertical segments, such as High Frequency Trading (HFT), network security, and cloud-enabled video distribution,” said Shaun Walsh, senior vice president of marketing, Emulex. “Ethernet-based High Performance Computing (HPC) is a rapidly growing market segment with a 63 percent compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) through 20161, and together, our partnership will provide our customers with a roadmap of solutions that leverage Emulex’s market-proven I/O connectivity and Myricom’s unique software IP.”
Emulex OneConnect Network Xceleration solutions provide extreme performance for specific enterprise applications that rely on low latency, superior message rate or packet pacing through FastStack™ application acceleration software powered by Myricom. Using FastStack acceleration, customers get the benefit of high performance networking for their applications, within industry-standard 10GbE. Going forward, Myricom and Emulex will be jointly developing additional FastStack software solutions which will optimize Emulex’s I/O connectivity solutions across additional vertical markets.
“Partnering with Emulex allows Myricom to bring its unique high performance networking software solutions for specific vertical market applications to a broader market,” said Dr. Nan Boden, chief executive officer, Myricom. “Emulex’s market strength and industry-leading Ethernet road map combined with Myricom’s ultra-low latency performance, lossless packet capture/injection and traffic shaping technology enables the two companies to provide best-of-breed HPC networking.”
Emulex is offering three OneConnect Network Xceleration solutions targeted at specific vertical applications which leverage kernel bypass operations that reduce latency and transaction times in conjunction with the OCe12000 adapters, including FastStack DBL™ (financial trading), FastStack Sniffer10G™ (cyber/network security) and FastStack VideoPump™ (video streaming and digital content delivery).
The Emulex OCe12000 combined with FastStack DBL software delivers industry-leading performance by accelerating UDP and TCP communication in HFT environments over industry-standard 10GbE network and IP protocols, and features:
- Low Latency Performance: Delivers low latency, enabling faster transactional performance in HFT environments.
- Broad Platform Support: Optimized for use on Linux and Windows operating system platforms which are broadly used in HFT environments.
- Transparent Acceleration: Superior performance while accelerating existing Linux and Windows sockets applications without modifications.
- Flexible Architecture: FastStack DBL can be combined with FastStack Sniffer10G to not only improve financial transaction performance, but also identify and address latencies which help optimize overall performance.
The Emulex OCe12000 combined with FastStack Sniffer10G software provides a powerful, cost-effective solution for network traffic capture, injection and analysis for performance-sensitive and mission-critical market segments, such as network surveillance, monitoring and analysis, deep packet inspection (DPI), test and measurement, and distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) defense appliances. FastStack Sniffer10G includes the following features:
- 100 Percent Lossless Packet Capture: FastStack Sniffer10G provides 100 percent lossless packet capture and packet injection for all Ethernet packet sizes on a 10GbE data stream. This line-rate performance enables more thorough inspection and better detection of threats for cyber security environments and further refinement of market models and trading software algorithms for HFT environments.
- Improved Multi-Core Utilization: FastStack Sniffer10G can distribute incoming packets over multiple CPU cores to not only improve CPU utilization, but also improve application performance through partitioning, duplication, and process sharing.
- Increased Bandwidth: Port aggregation allows network traffic from two or more ports from the same or different OCe12000 adapters.
- Cloud Multi-Tenancy Security SLAs : FastStack Sniffer10G helps cloud providers implement and track security policies in public cloud infrastructures to meet the demands of security service level agreements (SLAs) in multi-client environments.