SDI II MegaCore Function Features and Description
The Altera® SDI II MegaCore® function is Altera's next-generation SDI solution, which contains full features from the previous generation of SDI MegaCore function.
Altera recommends that you use SDI II MegaCore function for new designs.
The SDI II MegaCore function has the following new features:
- VCXO removal feature
- SMPTE 372 / 352 support for dual-link HD-SDI
- RP168 support for synchronous video switching
Download the new SDI II MegaCore Function User Guide (PDF) now.
SDI MegaCore Function Features and Description
The Altera SDI MegaCore function implements a receiver, transmitter, or full-duplex serial digital interface (SDI) at standard definition (SD), high definition (HD), or 3 Gbps. The SDI MegaCore function also supports dual or triple-rate standards, which provide automatic receiver rate detection.
The Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) defined an SDI that video system designers widely use as an interconnect between equipment in video production facilities.
The SDI MegaCore function supports the following SDI data rates:
- 270-megabits per second (Mbps) SD SDI, as defined by SMPTE259M-1997 10-Bit 4:2:2 Component Serial Digital Interface 1.485/1.4835 Gbps
- HD SDI, as defined by SMPTE292M-1998 Bit-Serial Digital Interface for High-Definition Television Systems
- SDI 3 Gbps, as defined by SMPTE425M-2006 3-Gbps Signal/Data Serial Interface–Source Image Format Mapping
- Full support for dual-link SDI, as defined by SMPTE372M-Dual Link 1.5-Gbps Digital Interface for 1920 x 1080 and 2048 x 1080 Picture Formats
- Dual standard that switches between 270 Mbps and 1.485 Gbps
- Triple-rate SDI that switches between 270 Mbps, 1.485 Gbps, and 2.97 Gbps
Other SDI features include:
- Support for multiple SDI standards (see Table 1)
- Transmitter includes:
- Cyclical redundancy check (CRC) encoding (HD only)
- Line number (LN) insertion (HD only)
- Word scrambling
- Receiver includes:
- CRC decoding (HD only)
- LN extraction (HD only)
- Framing and extraction of video timing signals
- Word alignment and descrambling
- Audio embed and extract
- Clocked audio input and output
- Intellectual property (IP) functional simulation models for use in VHDL and Verilog HDL simulators supported by Altera
- IP Toolbench interface
- Support for OpenCore Plus evaluation
Table 1 lists the SDI standards supported for various devices.
OpenCore Plus Evaluation
Use the Altera OpenCore Plus Evaluation flow to test drive these MegaCore functions.
Typical expected performance and utilization figures for the MegaCore functions are provided in the following user guides:
Altera awards the I-Tested certification to MegaCore functions or Altera Megafunctions Partners Program (AMPPSM) IP cores that have been verified in an Altera FPGA on an evaluation board with the ASSPs, hardware components, or test equipment necessary to ensure interoperability according to the relevant protocols.